July 03, 2008

Thursday Midday Ruminations

No musings yesterday since I was home sick and in bed most of the day. I'm only feeling slightly better today, but I had to come to work, because I can't afford to take that much time off. Hopefully this will just go away by tomorrow so I can actually enjoy this 4th of July.

Speaking of which, today is July 3rd. This is a big freaking deal. Like, huge. You know why? It's because this is the first July 3rd I've been alive for since 2006. That's right! I'm not on a breathing machine right now, I'm not in a hospital. Yes, I'm sick, but I'm awake and alive. I had almost forgotten there was a July 3rd, and now I'm living it. It's everything I dreamed it could be, and MORE!

The 4th of July is my favorite holiday. It's #1. I like it more than Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, New Years, St. Me Day...all of em. Why is it so great? Well, there are many reasons. First, it's the one, true summer holiday. Summer is by far my favorite season, and the 4th is the only holiday we get over the summer. This lends the 4th to being the ultimate BBQ and pool party holiday. Since I LOVE BBQing and swimming in the pool, this appeals to me. Also, it's a day to celebrate America, and all of you who know me know how much I love America. Finally, it is the official holiday of blowing shit up. I love fire, fireworks, and explosions. Therefore, this holiday feeds perfectly into my pyro side.

Oh, and you don't have to buy gifts for anyone. Which is pretty sweet. Christmas almost becomes like an obligation. And what happens when someone gets a gift for you, and they weren't on your list? You HAVE to go out and get them something. Buying things just because you feel obligated to is no way to celebrate. I love the gift giving of Christmas, because the few people I do buy gifts for, I put a lot of thought into it. I just don't want to feel obligated to buy someone a present because they were kind enough to think of me.

Oh, and the 4th of July also has the Nathan's Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest. The Mustard Belt is defended every year on this ultimate American holiday. San Jose's own Joey Chestnut will be defending his title and try to keep it from going back to Japan with Kobayashi. All Americans should be cheering for Chestnut to keep the Mustard Belt in America!

That's all for now. I need to go take my medicine and get well before tomorrow's extravaganza. For this amazing holiday, please remember the following: Real Americans vote McCain, Give War a Chance, and Bush is the best president we've had in the last 7 1/2 years. That is a true statement if I've ever seen one.

No comments: