December 28, 2006

Year in Review 2006: Part 2

Commense Part 2!

Man, this thing is getting longer and longer every year methinks.


Notable Passings of 2006

2006 saw the passing of a few notable people, which I would like to make note of here.

First, and most importantly, my friend and brother Chris Piccardo passed away on March 28. This was probably the most significant death I've ever had to deal with in my life and one that I am still grieving about to this day. I miss my brother, and I hope he is well and watching down on me.

A few famous people died too. Below is a list with date of passing and a short description of who they are...

~Kirby Puckett (3/6/06) - Hall of Fame baseball player for the Minneasota Twins.
~Aaron Spelling (6/23/06) - Famous television producer.
~Robert H. Brooks(7/15/06) - chairman and founder of Hooter.
~Steve Irwin (9/4/06) - The Crocodile Hunter.
~John "Buck" O'Neill (10/6/06) - Negro Baseball League legend.
~Cory Lidle (10/11/06) - Yankees and former A's pitcher who died when he crashed his plane into a NYC apartment complex.
~Red Auerbach (10/28/06) - One of the greatest basketball coaches of all time.
~Ed Bradley (11/9/06) - Long time 60 minutes correspondant.
~Peter Boyle (12/12/06) - Famous and beloved actor.
~Lamar Hunt (12/13/06) - Kansas City Chiefs owner and father of modern football. Coined the term "Super Bowl"
~Gerald Ford (12/26/06) - Former President of the United States.

May all of these, and anyone who passed away this year, rest in peace. You will all be missed.


Top 10 Personal Stories of 2006

My personal 2006 kinda sucked. I mean, my top story is the passing of my friend and brother Chris Piccardo. But there were still some good moments.

10. Pantheon LAN party at 2802 Sycamore. This was the first get together I had with my guildmates from the game World of Warcraft. You may groan, but I enjoy meeting new people, and this was a fun weekend for those who came by.

9. Summer Pantheon BBQ at Bubba's. This was the second get together, and was even better than the first because we didn't play video games at all during it! We just got to hang out with some cool people, and I have some great pictures. Ask me if you care to see them!

8. Mice Wars at 2802. Some of you may remember this, but 2802 got invaded by mice early in 2006. We had to start an all out assault on them, which ended with a death total near 40. You read that right, nearly 40 mice were killed over a couple week period in our house. I know, pretty disgusting. However, I am proud to announce that we have not had a single mouse back within our walls since we killed the last of them!

7. Halloween at 2802. We had a great Halloween party, as anyone who was there can attest to. We are estimating that over 100 people rolled through the house at some point in the evening. The party started at 10pm, and even with the time change giving us an extra hour, the party still lasted until 430am. Insane. Once again, I have some great pictures.

6. The Annual Nuclear Ab Feed. So, every year my dad's office goes up to Ocean Cove on the Sonoma Coast and has a big Abalone Dive and Feed. Every year I go, and its always a blast. Kent came with me again this year, and we had a great time. Ask me for pictures, I have a few from this trip too.

5. Mid-Week trip to LA with Nichole and Nate in September. This was pretty last minute. Like the weekend before Nichole was all "hey pat, come to LA with us." And I was all "ok." So we went, and I had a blast. Got to wander around UCLA's campus a bit. Hung out in Westwood. Had dinner in Santa Monica. And crashed for the night at Nichole's friends place at LMU. It was really the first major time I've spent in LA (I usually avoided the place) and it was pretty sweet. And Nichole got a roommate and a place to live out of it, so it was a successful trip!

4. Family Vacation to Oregon. This year we went back to Sunriver for the first time in probably 10 years. I had forgotten how cool that place is. Between hiking down a mile long lava tube, white water rafting down the Dechutes River, and golfing on numerous occasions, it was a week and a half of relaxation and fun. I enjoyed it immensely.

3. Seeing the Oakland A's win the ALDS in person. My birthday present this year was playoff tickets to the A's. Simply amazing. I had tickets to the World Series too, if they had made it there, but alas, it was not meant to be. However, I was there for the clinching game of the ALDS, the first series the A's had won since 1990, so that was pretty awesome. Pretty awesome? I meant incredible. I love the A's.

2. Graduating from UC Davis. Finally. For a little while it didn't look like I was going to make it, but I finally finished and have a degree (well, will have it when they mail it in like 4 months) in Political Science. Commensement was nice, and my whole family (mom, dad, sister, grandparents, piccardos) made it out to see me walk. So that was pretty cool. Now I get to start the next chapter of my life: 2007, when Pat gets a job and becomes somewhat of an adult. Should be thrilling, no?

1. The Passing of Chris Piccardo. I've written at length about this, so I really don't want to rehash it here. Look back in my blogs in March and April to read up about it. But its hard to lose someone so close to you, especially when they are so young. Chris was an amazing person, and his passing has killed me. But I know he's in a better place.


Time for another break. Part 3 will have my look back at the year in sports.

No comments: