Today was it. The last day of classes in my college career. And, possibly, the last day of classes in my educational career. I've been going to school, going to classes, for the last 17 years of my life (give or take). My college education tells me that is a hair under 74% of my life to date.
Up till now, I had been dreading this. My college career is at an end. I do not have a job yet. I really have no direction in life. It's scary. I haven't wanted to take this next step...a step into the abyss of a real world as hazy as a Davis winter morning. However, when I stepped out of my last class today, I felt an odd calm. A sense that I had finished something.
I've been deathly afraid and very very tentative about the future that has been approaching. However, someone told me the other day, "you know, you can do anything you want now. You are free from all obligations and responsibilities." And its completely true. I don't think I've been as worried about having to join the working world as I am at the prospect of having to join the working world IMMEDIATELY. I've been freaking out about having to pay for christmas presents, january rent, utils, etc. now, while I'm trying to graduate and apply for jobs. There is no way all this is going to happen all at once. I guess I'll see where I land when the dust settles. Hopefully something will come through in the mean time.
Speaking of job applications, I applied to mlb.com today for their "sports reporter" position with major league ballclubs. They had a "sports reporter" position open for applications with every baseball team, so I applied for the 5 california teams. I assume a lotta people will apply for this, since the only applications they are accepting are online through monster.com. But, if I get a chance to submit my writing to any of them, I think I'll be in good shape. Anyways, I assume I won't hear back on any of these for a while, so I'll need to keep looking around.
I also have been checking the job postings of every single major league baseball team. Nothing is availiable for me right now, but I was encouraged because I saw some "entry-level" positions in other fields availiable for a few teams...and this is the first time I've seen this. So I'm hoping to see some more "entry-level" jobs being posted in the state as we get closer to the baseball season.
Anyways, I know I still have finals left, but for the first time I'm actually starting to look forward to the next stage in my life. I'm glad I won't have anymore tests or papers or anything after next week. I'm excited at the prospect of finding a job and finally becoming financially independant. Hopefully things will work out for me.
As for now, its time to go study for my last finals ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment