October 25, 2006

Death Penalty? Puh-leeze!

So, in this country, the punishment for crimes is a term in prison, supposedly scaled to the severity of your offense. A thief gets a few years in prison. A rapist could get a lifetime. A murder could get life, or if he's really malicious (oh, sorry, beyond rehabilitation), he could be sentenced to death. Now, death is kinda scary, I guess. I mean, generally people want to live. And a life without freedom is somewhat a deterrant, although 3 square meals a day and a bed to sleep in doesn't sound too bad to someone on the streets. I don't think this is deterrant enough, though, to curb crime in this nation. You know what's scarier than death or prison? Pain!

That's right, I think people should be punished with an amount of pain and suffering equal to their offense.

Think about it. When you were a kid, what did you fear more? Did you fear time out or being sent to your room? Or did you fear the spanking? Hellz yeah. Your parents could threaten to lock you in your room all day and all night, and you, being the little shit you are, would keep talking right back to them. But once they even threatened to"pull this car over right now and give you the spanking of a lifetime," you shut up pretty quick.

Being as most people do not reach a maturity level past that of a 3 year old, and that most people operate on the risk/reward system of decision making, I think a punishment in pain would seriously make people think twice before robbing poor Mrs. Robinson as she walks down the street to the local market.

But, the punishment should be proportional to the crime. We can't go chopping off everyone's hand for petty offenses. If you are caught stealing a purse, break a finger. If you are caught stealing millions, put them in a boxing ring with the current Heavyweight Champion of the World for 10 rounds. Someone caught trafficking drugs? Give them an STD. I guarantee you people will think twice about breaking the law when faced with a lifetime of burning when you pee. That would get old really really quick. Rapists? Castrate them. 1) They won't ever do it again, guaranteed. 2) It'll make you think twice. I would be willing to bet that most men would be far less likely to rape a girl if they were faced with a future without their pecker. We can still kill murderers, but maybe that's the easy way out.... What if we made them go to prison, but maimed them before sending them. Talk about pain. A life with pain is much harder than a life without, and thus, I think would be a great deterrant to crime.

Now, you may think what I say here is sick, or deranged, or whatever. But if you think about it, I'm confident that many of you already agree with me. Life in prison is somewhat of a deterrant, but pain is much scarier. And if you commit a crime, you should have to be punished in a way that is frightening. How else will we deter anyone from a life of crime unless they are scared shitless of the consequenses? The death penalty? That's the easy way out. You don't have to live with yourself anymore after that. But a constant, painful reminder of what you have done? That's punishment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

heh. I like your ideas in theory, but there are a few things wrong with the application. Firstly people will always bring up the whole "cruel and unusual" thing, so thats somthing you'd have to get around. Also castration has been proven over and over again not to work to stop rape, kinda odd when you think about it but objects can be used and its not really about the sex. Though i guess under the strictest definition of rape they won't be able to do it again. But back to the "cruel and unusual" part maybe a way to cause the pain without actually damaging the body, i.e. electrically stimulating pain receptors for a long enough period, or so many hows a day for so many days. Also that gets around the accompanying doctor bills of actual injury.

-Dan

Anonymous said...

I think you can get around the cruel and unusual like this:

If you are doing it all the time, to all people commiting similar crimes, its no longer UNUSUAL!

If you have a better lawyer than me, you can make a case that if its on the order of what they did, then how is it CRUEL to give them what back what they did? They did it first, its no longer cruel to them!
(yeah, i know theres lots of holes, just trying to support my man)
-matt

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Interesting arguments. In today's society none of this is going to fly. It's already considered cruel to challenge children in school and make them work, and make them accountable for the actions, so society is not going to take a bigger step. (That's the school teacher in me).

I also remember the saying "An eye for and eye and a tooth for a tooth makes everyone blind and toothless."

Somewhere pain has to stop, and so as much as I would want pain for a person who hurt part of my family or part of my extended Davis family, where does it then stop.
(I guess that's the Catholic school teacher in me)

Love,
Mom

Sean said...

Some countries, like Singapore and Thailand have the death penalty for drug dealers. Singapore will hang drug dealers (though not in public). Last year there was a big stink made by the Australian government about an Australian citizen sentenced to death in Singapore for running drugs. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4487366.stm