"Moral fiber. So, what is moral fiber? It's funny, I used to think it was always telling the truth, doing good deeds, basically being a fucking boy scout. But lately I've been seeing it differently. Now I think moral fiber's about finding that one thing you really care about. That one special thing that means more to you than anything else in the world. And when you find her, you fight for her. You risk it all, you put her in front of everything, your life, all of it. And maybe the stuff you do to help her isn't so clean. You know what? It doesn't matter. Because in your heart you know, that the juice is worth the squeeze. That's what moral fiber's all about."
This blog is going two ways...if you couldn't tell from the quote above. And I'll probably either 1) jump around uncontrollably, or 2) have absolutely no transition whatsoever. Try to stick with me.
Also, for this piece, some things I say (examples and whatnot) are going to be based on real life experiences, and others completely fabricated. I will not specify which is which...but if something sounds familiar, it probably is. Just to clear up any confusion that may arise.
The line between good and evil is very vague. At least to me. Of course there are things that are obviously evil: murder, rape, etc. And there are things that are obviously good: helping others out, giving to the less fortunate, etc. But then there's the middle. Is it ok to kill a mother to save a baby, or vice versa? What if the only way to save a town is to sacrifice a few citizens? Then it becomes a bit blurrier. And in the life of a 20-something year old in college... Say, the only way a friend is happy is when he is inebriated. Is it ok that he drinks a bit more than he should rather than be in his miserable normal state? Or is it ok to hurt a friend now, because you know what you are doing is good for him in the long run? Oh, or what if your friend is dating someone, but you and them really hit it off, to the point where you know you two are the right fit for one another? Is it ok to "take" their significant other, or immediately start dating them as soon as they are single? This is the shit that throws the whole black and white view of good and evil into flux. It's very hard, sometimes, to decide which is the right path or the right course of action.
Now, I will say that this is not something I am currently dealing with directly. I lead a pretty drama free life. But I do think about these things from time to time. Lines are never clear in life. There's always a grey area between the two sides. And it is in these areas that drama and problems arise. Like the quote indicates above...many times when dealing with a grey area, you need to weigh if the juice will be worth the squeeze. Meaning, is the outcome of what you are doing worth what you have to do to get there? Is sending a friend to detox to save his life worth the strain it will put on your friendship? Is this something you are willing to fight for?
And I believe this applies to the most important part of life: finding someone you care about enough to fight for them and love them and spend your time with them. This is not moral fiber, persay, but it is the meaning of life...in my opinion. Yeah, finding a job and being able to support yourself is important...but finding that special person that you want to spend your time with, and maybe even your life with (although I believe this takes a long time to determine), that is the key. The key to happiness. The key to leading a fulfilling life.
The cliche states that "there is someone out there for everyone," but is this really true? I mean, there aren't an even number of men and women in the world, and putting homosexuality aside for one moment, isn't it possible that there isn't particularly someone out there for everyone? Isn't it possible that some of us are doomed to spend our lives alone? I don't like this idea...it isn't very comforting...but it might be true. Which makes when you find that person for you that much more special.
And you do not find this person in a day, a week, a month...or even 4 or 5 months. I definately believe that, while you may have a good idea that the person you are with might be the one, it takes a while to get to know a person well enough and understand them completely enough to determine whether or not you are meant to be with them forever. This is why we date; to figure out what we like and don't like in a partner. Many people go through multiple failed relationships (and even marriages) to find that one person they want to be with for the rest of their lives. That one person you are willing to risk it all for. And when you find it...its beautiful.
...or so I assume. I obviously have not found my one person. Hell, I haven't even had enough failed relationships to fully know what I want and don't want (although I think I have a decent idea). But I do know, that when I find it, I'll know...right? And she will know too...because I'm only half of the equation. You can't force people to fall in love with you, no matter how hard you try. I'm going to assume, that when you find that one person, it just clicks...and one day you wake up and are all "oh shit, this is the one." I, for one, can't wait until I find the one I'm willing to risk it all for, the one I'm willing to fight for, and the one I want to be with. But I'm definately not going to worry about it. Cuz I know it will happen at some point. Now if I can only get out there and meet more people...
Yeah, that's about it for now. These two things have been on my mind a lot lately. And they're not completely independant. I think I overanalyze things, but then again, if I didn't, what bullshit would you read instead of this blog? I need something to write about, yeah? I just wish my brain was as simple as my life at present. My life is pretty straight forward...school, friends, etc. My brain is far more complex. It's almost like I'm leading two lives: my simple everyday (boring) life, and the much more complex world of my brain and its thoughts. I'm not sure if I prefer one to the other...a mixture of the two might be nice.
OK, that is all for tonight...
Oh, and 50 points to whoever can tell me what movie the opening quote is from. And no cheating and looking it up! It isn't hard...
4 comments:
good and evil are not so obscure. i can give you a philosophical derivation of the only moral principles suitable for man, if you are interested. in short, the good is any volitional action you take which furthers your long-term self interest and the evil is any action which hinders it. cutting off your perfectly healthy hand would be evil. studying before an exam instead of partying would be good. when dealing with other people, the initiation of force (theft, murder, rape, etc) is evil. your self interest is invariably affected by the interests of people you care about, but you should never sacrifice something you value more for something you value less, and you should never value anything more than your own life.
See I can't help but disagree with our tallbladeofgrass friend... because your grey areas deal with things LIKE using force to help someone who needs it... as in the case of a friend being forced into detox. There is no magic or perfect moral code, which is exactly why philosophers have and continue to argue and argue and argue over which moral code is the right one. The unfortunate state we find ourselves in currently is one in which moral philosophy has become, for the most part, a quite post-modern and uncomforting situation. Utilitarianism prevails as the "most philosophically defensible" moral code and ideas like love become so abstract that it is hard to see where they fit in this objective, and I would contend, barren philosophical landscape.
Of course, I don't expect that everyone would agree on what is morally correct; but I also don't agree that we should just give up trying to know.
I am glad to hear that you are thinking about these things. It is important that we never let them leave our minds, because our critical thoughts about the world around us are precisely what make us human, special, worthwhile, etc.
Sarah
I don't want to comment, I just want the 50 points for The Girl Next Door.
~P.Diddle
50 points to Bubba!
Post a Comment