August 14, 2005

The supernatural, faith, and the afterlife...

So I've been thinking...

Ok, now that you have exhausted your "I thought I smelled something burning" jokes now, I will continue...

So, I have struggled with whether there is a God or not. On one hand, sometimes you feel like there has to be some greater force, but on the other hand, you look around and think "this can't possibly be the work of a god. This place is fucked up!" I see both sides, and usually I am inclined to fall somewhere in the middle: there may have been a god who created all this, but he's kinda let things go from there and moved on to do other things. If he does exist, this makes sense because, seriously, do you think that this god: 1) spends all his time with us, lowly humans, when he is GOD and can do whatever he wants, and 2) only created us if he does indeed exist. He's god! He can create a world in 7 days! We've been here for millions of years. Chances are, he's created other worlds. These worlds would require attention too.

This brings me to the debate over the existance of an afterlife. Is there a soul? After we die, does this soul go floating around until he is JUDGED by the almighty and sentenced, if you will, to his supernatural home. Some go to hell for being bad, some go to heaven for being good, some go to purgatory if they were neitehr good nor bad enough to warrent being "placed" in another location. And then, what would a heaven look like? And do only humans go to heaven? God supposedly created the animals too. If they are good animals, do they get to join us? Or do they go to their own special heaven? And is heaven like earth? I mean, I'd be pretty pissed if I ended up in the corner apartment in heaven next to the ice machine above the train tracks. That would really suck! Or maybe we will all sit on clouds and play harps and float around. That sounds kinda boring to me. Also, this is supposed to be for enternity. I dont care how awesome something is, eventually I'd get sick of it. I mean, yeah, a heaven where I can hang out and watch A's games all the time and dance with pretty girls sounds good, but I may feel like doing other things. Life gives us a variety, so would heaven? And if so, its starting to look like a replication of earth, in which my previous statement would hold true. Finally, it is highly likely that if there is a god that he has created other planets and species. And chances are, he's gotten better at creating species after us. 4 million years should be enough time for imporvement. Will these guys go to the same afterlife as us? That would be kind of a shock. I may die again in heaven of a heart attack if my heaven roomie was a 12 armed creature of pure energy! Or maybe they will be in a neighboring afterlife! Where the souls from Omecron Persei 8 may keep us from Earth up all night with their loud music. And then we will have to complain to our local angel to keep the peace. Man, that would be nuts!!!! How would all of this fit together???

This all seems highly unlikely. Of course, I would go ask someone :"Hey grandpa! Is there an afterlife?" Although, if I got an answer to that: "YES, AND IT IS GLORIOUS!" I would probably poop my pants (kinda like the French in any war they fight!). You really can't ask the dead about those kinds of things. I think that when I die, I won't know it, and that will be it. I will decompose into the earth and become some grass for the cows to eat so they can become dinner for the next generation. Not that I should worry about it, I won't be alive to feel like I'm missing out on anything.

OK, so I don't believe in an afterlife (even though it would be comforting to, I just can't see it), and I think if there is a God (which I'm still not sure about) that he's not really around these parts anymore. But, you never know. Maybe something amazing will happen that will change my mind. I guess only time will tell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------


Wow, that was a fun rant! Haha, I haven't ranted like that in a long time. If you are offended by me not believing in a god (or not really knowing one way or the other), then maybe you have bigger issues. I don't look down on anyone who does believe. Its everyone's choice!


I'm gonna write on my Saturday (which was absolutely incredible) when I do my weekend write-up tomorrow. Until then, enjoy the read!

No comments: