In true Q fashion, I'm sneaking in adventures left and right! Not satisfied to wait the two weeks between the Alturas trip and the Mt. Whitney hike to have yet another adventure, Jessica and I headed out on Sunday to tackle the Berry Creek Falls loop in Big Basin!
Basically, its a 5 hour hike up and down the mountains with the sole goal of having lunch under a waterfall. Yeah, pretty effing worth it.
This hike amuses me. When you start it, you climb out of Big Basin HQ, over a ridge, and right before you head down the other side, there's this sign...
Well, that certainly sounds intimidating. WARNING! YOU MIGHT DIE! THIS HIKE IS HARD!!! Not that this would ever stop me, I just found this amusing. There's no big warning sign before Half Dome's hike...and that one is way harder than this one. Although this hike was 11 miles round trip, and had over 2200 feet of climbing. OK, so maybe its a decent sized hike. Nothing we couldn't handle though.
Anyways, I'll spare you the gory details...suffice to say that it was a perfect day for hiking...just gorgeous weather outside. And, of course, the destination for lunch was worthwhile. It's a very pretty waterfall, and we climbed down to have lunch right at the base of it.
Oh, yeah, and someone took a picture for us on the iPhone.
This picture does not accurately describe how pretty the waterfall is...and certainly does not accurately capture all the water dripping off the moss that's creeping along all the sheer rock faces down there. It does, however, capture a smiling Q and a smiling Jess, some water, some color changes, and some really horrible lighting for picture taking...so there's always that!
The cool thing about out and back hikes is that, once you've gotten to your destination, and have sat around for half an hour or so eating lunch and enjoying the scenery...you have to do it all again in reverse. Fun! But with proper company, good shoes (more on that in a second), and phenomenal weather...well, its pretty awesome.
OK, so the other point of this hike, on top of it being just a good idea and a good way to spend a day in general, was to get some mileage in on my new hiking shoes before the Whitney trip. I ended up popping a blister on the bottom of one of my smaller toes on my left foot...but I didn't pop it until we were back at HQ, so that was good timing, at least. But I did find the rubbing points, and should be able to adequately account for them on my hike next weekend. Mission accomplished.
Now I need to rest my little leggies and get them prepared to take me to 14,505 feet in elevation. Hope you're ready, body...I'm gonna run you ragged before I ever get to 30 (which happens exactly 4 months from today...scary!).
OK, until next time!


No comments:
Post a Comment