June 24, 2013

Oregon Cancelled; Bring on Toronto!

Sometimes you have a vacation to Oregon planned.  And sometimes, you get sent to Toronto on a business trip instead.

OK, so maybe this exact scenario only happens to me.

I guess, technically, I could go on vacation still...but it would lead to a travel schedule that looks like this...

Saturday July 6th:  Drive to Sunriver, OR
Sunday July 14th:  Fly from Bend, OR to Toronto
Thursday July 18th:  Fly from Toronto to Columbia, SC
Saturday July 20th:  Fly from Columbia, SC to San Jose.

Which, I guess that's doable...but that's a LONG time to be away from home.  Especially when I have good reasons to be home.  And ESPECIALLY when I have to move at the end of the month. I really just cannot, nor do I have the desire to, disappear for two full weeks, plus.

So, since the business trip is required...that means my summer vacation is off the books.

Sucks, don't it?

Yeah, kinda.  I really, really love Central Oregon.  Its such a gorgeous area...and there's such much to do!  I stay so active...I love it!

All is not lost, though!  There are some positives!

~I'll get to save a big chunk of PTO...which will allow me to take a day off over 4th of July weekend, a day off over Labor Day weekend, and a few days off around my birthday in October.  Works for me!

~I'll get to spend that week with Jessica...which I certainly seem to enjoy.

~I'll get to see Toronto...in the summer.  Which seems like a much better time to see that city.  I hear it can be a rather fun place!  At the very least I plan to spend some time at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

~I'll probably make a boatload of OT that week.  Which is good since I need the cash for moving purposes.

So, yeah, this isn't really all that terrible a situation...more so just mildly annoying.  So, instead of a Q's Adventures from Oregon (again), you'll be getting Q's Adventures from Toronto and from South Carolina!  SC will be a new state to check off my list (#27 I believe), and Toronto will be another great city to check off my list.  Things could definitely be worse!

Yeah, I think I'll survive...


6 comments:

Dustin said...

Too bad the Blue Jays won't be playing (All Star break). The HoF is awesome, although both Cooperstown and the FHoF in Canton (which we went to together, whatup) are arguably better (at least you don't have to walk into a MALL to see those two Halls of Fame). By the way, to get a similar photo to the one you posted, go across to the islands on the lake. Columbia is also cool, but escape to Charleston if you have time - best city in the south, other than MAYBE New Orleans.

Dustin said...

Also - when you go up the CN Tower, get a dinner reservation. The food is expensive, but when you factor in that you don't have to pay for the elevator ride, it actually works out to be a deal. Their salmon was ridiculously good - I eat a lot of salmon, and theirs was in my top 10. Plus, you get to relax and soak up the views of all of Toronto.

Dustin said...

Dude, I keep thinking of crap you need to see = Niagara Falls is about an hour away. You should totally go, and then walk across the bridge to the LAND OF THE FREE HOME OF THE BRAVE and go to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo for the ORIGINAL Buffalo wings. I know you have work to do, but find a late afternoon and just do it. You owe me, since you never made it to the Smokies, you bastard! ;-)

ZeroIndulgence said...

Haha...I'm trying to get my meetings cancelled on Wednesday of that week so I can spend that entire day seeing the city and the area. If that happens, I'll be all over heading to Niagara and whatnot. I fully intend on seeing the hockey hall of fame either way.

In SC, I plan on flying in and out of Charleston, and spending all day Saturday there before flying out that evening. I hear its a pretty awesome city.

Dustin said...

Excellent. Tons of great food in Charleston - I'm going there for the second time this Christmas. The Hockey Hall of Fame is open 9:30 - 6pm on Wednesday (and every day except Sunday, which is 10 - 6). You could leave in the morning, going against traffic, and head to Niagara Falls. Lunch at the Anchor. Back in Toronto in time for plenty of HoF action (it probably takes about 3 hours). Dew eeeeet.

Sue Quinn said...

Although I understand why you're not coming with us, I'm a sad Mom. Oregon won't be the same without you.