Remember a few weeks ago when I published my life's to-do list? Oh, you do? Excellent! I'm glad you were paying attention. Well, if you remember back to it, there was one mundane little thing on it that seemed so easy to accomplish that it seemed almost criminal that it even had to be on the list. That thing...learning to ice skate.
Well, this past Saturday, I can finally check that off the list. I skated! On ice! And it was amazing!
Oh man, don't I look so happy! And upright! Yes, that's right, I skated successfully.
Big thank you to C, who planned this outing. In total, 6 of us went...three of us churros! Here we are...all on skates...all upright...all having a brilliant time!
CHURROS ON ICE! Yup, there's me, C, and nina...having a glorious time.
Yeah, pretty awesome. Anyways, turns out skating, at least the initial learning curve, isn't that hard. I stepped out onto the ice, it was a little slick, but then I just went for it, left the wall, and pushed myself around the rink. And it worked. By the end of the 2 hours, my feet were sore, my ankles were killing me, but I could skate at a decent rate of speed, I could avoid people I was passing, I could turn...I mean, I could basically skate.
Pretty cool, right? Now, I suspect the learning curve between this (being somewhat mobile on ice) and the next stage of skating (stopping immediately, turning on a dime, and skating backwards) is quite a bit steeper. But you know what, I really enjoyed being on the ice. I think I'm going to try and go a lot more often...and see if I can't figure this whole skating thing out. Maybe after a few times out there, I'll go get some lessons and see if I can't become a decent skater in general. It was really, really fun...I definitely want to go back!
Haha, yes, I'm just throwing in random pictures now. Anyways, if you ever want to go ice skating, hit me up! Now that I've tried it once, I'm hooked. I want to do it more!
See, I was still happy after two hours on the ice...even if my final lap ended in a sweet face first digger on the ice, hence the ice on my leg there (which I turned into a graceful baseball slide...because that's how I roll!).
So, thank you C for setting this evening up! Thoroughly enjoyed it...and I may have found yet another new hobby to keep me busy (you know, along with work, swimming, bike riding, running, lifting weights, and everything else I try to do in a given week). Woo!






1 comment:
WHOO! I cannot wait to go again it was definitely so much fun! I'm so glad you enjoyed it and who knows maybe next time we'll all be in the market to buy our own skates :D -C
Post a Comment