February 08, 2013

Big Red's Final Farewell

On Saturday February 2, 2013, I laid to rest a dear old friend of mine.  Yes, this was the day we finally sent Big Red to Valhalla.  A bittersweet moment, for sure, but a glorious one.  I spent all day that Saturday giving Big Red one last ride around the block.  One final day together in the sun!

Of course, I'm sure I looked ridiculous.  Big Red and I are no longer made for each other...


Yeah, ok, so its a little big for me.  This is why we were sending him to Valhalla.  But it was nice to wear him one last time.  Big Red was always my comfortable security blanket in my fat days.  Given the events of the past week, a security blanket was needed.  Anyways, Big Red and I spent the day together.  We went to the gun store and started my paperwork for my lower receiver.  We went to the grocery store and got things for the super bowl.  We cleaned the house, we cleaned the hot tub, we lit a fire.  We had a glorious day together!  We even spent time with my nephew!


Our day together was so glorious, in fact, that I started having second thoughts.  Maybe I didn't want to lose Big Red just yet!  He's my security blanket...we'd been through so much together.  How could I lose him now???


But, in the end, reason won out.  This was the end of an era.  We were saying goodbye to the last vestiges of Fat Pat.  Big Red's final song had been sung.  He needed an epic sendoff.

Thus, the words were spoken:  "Thus Odin established by law that all dead men should be burned, and their belongings laid with them upon the pile, and the ashes be cast into the sea or buried in the earth. Thus, said he, everyone will come to Valhalla with the riches he had with him upon the pile; and he would also enjoy whatever he himself had buried in the earth. For men of consequence a mound should be raised to their memory, and for all other warriors who had been distinguished for manhood a standing stone."

And Big Red was laid upon the funeral pyre.


Big Red had a glorious sendoff!


Fare thee well, my friend.  You served me well for well over a decade.  We had some glorious times together...it's only fitting that we sent you out in style!


No comments: