-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m a huge
Olympics mark. There, I said it. I love it, what can I say? The nationalism, the random sports you never
see any other time of the year, the impressive physical feats that take your
breath away…its incredible! Now, I’ll be
honest and say I love the Winter Olympics far more than I do the Summer
Olympics (which is odd, seeing as how I really dislike snow…), but the Summer
Olympics are far more involved, and definitely has its plusses. I’ve discovered my new favorite sport in
handball (go watch it…its insane). I’ve
seen Usain Bolt put on a show, the Americans dominate the swimming pool, and a
dude drop a multi-hundred pound weight bar on his head…so, you know, solid
showing all around.
When the
Olympics come around, there’s always the popular events: Gymnastics All Around; Swimming 400 IM, 100
and 200 free, and whatever Michael Phelps is racing in; Track’s 100m and 200m;
Women’s Beach Volleyball (ok, I get that one!).
And titles are thrown around like hotcakes. GREATEST OLYMPIAN EVER! FASTEST MAN ON THE PLANET! These titles are all well and good, and
impressive in their own right, but there is one event that impresses me more
than all the others…the decathlon.
To me, the
winner of the decathlon is truly the best athlete in the world.
The
decathlon is a combined event in athletics (for some reason, the world calls
Track and Field “athletics”) consisting of ten track and field events. Events are held over two consecutive days and
the winners are determined by the combined performance in all. Performance is judged on a points system in
each event, not by the position achieved.
The points system is too complicated to explain. The events, though, require a wide range of
talents. The events are as follows:
Day
1:
100 meters
Long jump
Shot put
High jump
400 meters
Day 2:
110 meters
hurdles
Discus throw
Pole vault
Javelin
throw
1500 meters
So, to excel
at the decathlon, you need to be able to sprint (100m), jump (long jump, high
jump), sprint while jumping (110m hurdles), run medium distances (400m), throw
heavy things (shot put, discus), throw technical things (discus, javelin), pole
vault, and finally run a mile (1500m). I
mean, if that’s not a test of literally every part of one’s fitness and
athletic ability, I’m not sure what is.
The decathlon
used to be a very big deal. The winner
was actually called the “world’s greatest athlete,” and gained fame and
fortune. They’d be in commercials, on
cereal boxes, etc. Think Bruce Jenner in
1976 (before he became famous for being the Kardashians’ step-father…I hate
myself for knowing that). These days, it’s
hard to even find the decathlon results on TV, let alone bestow fame and
fortune on the winner. The current Olympic
champion from 2008 is Brian Clay, an American.
And yet, no one knows who he is.
The world
record holder in the decathlon is also an American: Ashton Eaton, from Bend, Oregon (a place I
LOVE, and recently visited). He set the
world record back at the American Olympic Trials earlier this year, earning
9,039 points. This makes him the
favorite to win Olympic gold, but, of course, he has to compete up to his
level. His biggest competition looks to be another
American, Trey Hardee…a 2-time decathlon World Champion himself. Basically, America owns the crap out of the
most grueling, impressive, intense athletic competition in the world. Why is this not more popular?
Decathletes
are the very definition of the Olympic motto: faster, higher, stronger. It’s a shame that they aren’t given the
credit they deserve. These well-rounded,
elite athletes are capable of things no one else in the world is. They are definitely the greatest athletes in the
world, and we should be paying attention.
The decathlon started today, and will conclude tomorrow. I urge you to do your best to find it and
tune in. You’ll be in for a heck of a
treat!




2 comments:
After today's five events here are your decathlon top five:
1. Ashton Eaton -- 4661
2. Trey Hardee -- 4441
3. Damian Warner -- 4386
4. Oleksiy Kasyanov -- 4346
5. Hans Van Alphen -- 4342
Yup, Ashton Eaton is a BOSS! Trey Hardee ain't too bad, either. Two best athletes in the world are from right here in the USA! Tune in tomorrow to see if Eaton can go after the OR or WR, and bring home the gold!
He did it! Ashton Eaton affirms his title as the Best Athlete in the World! No OR or WR...but for a man who already has the WR, I'm sure he'll be plenty happy with his Gold Medal!
GOLD - USA Ashton Eaton 8869
SILVER - USA Trey Hardee 8671
BRONZE - CUB Leonel Suárez 8523
After the final 1500m race, the decathletes all cheered one another on, celebrated finishing the event together, and took group bows for the crowd. The decathletes are a pretty tight knit group...at every competition, always cheering one another on, actively encouraging one another through the finish. They know how difficult this event is...and everyone who finished, whether they finished 1st or 26th, deserve praise!
Post a Comment