June 25, 2012

Q’s Adventures: Catching Up! Santa Cruz and Lake Don Pedro

A rather unconventional Q’s adventures post today. No pictures (sorry!). Just wanted to throw down a few notes for what I’ve been up to the last few weekends…lest my loyal readers think that Q is not having adventures! I most certainly am…although small ones.

Two weekends ago my Saturday included some menial chores (shopping, cleaning, whatever), and then a trip to the Santa Cruz mountains to go zip lining in the redwoods!  Being as I had been zip lining in Hawaii already, this was nothing new for me…but Elaine had wanted to do it for quite a while and set up the adventure.  This was a 2 hour tour, 6 zips and two rope bridges, all up in the tops of redwood trees.  So, it was a vastly different setting to the Hawaii one.  And, really, I think I liked the setting of this one better!  Don’t get me wrong, Hawaii is my favorite place in the world.  But there was something supremely serene about zipping through the tops of those magnificent trees.  It was quite peaceful being that high up, seeing the redwood forest from a different vantage point.  So yeah, rather enjoyable!

After zip lining, we continued into Santa Cruz and had a delicious dinner on the wharf at Stagnaro Bros.  I’d totally go back there.  It was rather delicious!  I had their chowder (which was amazing), and then their famous cioppino, which was pretty killer as well! J  After dinner we wandered around the wharf for a bit before retreating back over the hill.  Only downside to this trip was all the traffic.  Both directions took an hour and a half…which is rather ridiculous for 25 miles.  But such is life!

That Sunday was Father’s Day, and we took pops to an A’s game.  Gorgeous weather for the A’s game…but the A’s lost, which was sad.  Ah well.  Dad also brought my grill up to me from MoHill, which has definitely been a big highlight!  I think I’ve used it every freaking day…its that amazing to have!

The week went by without incident.  Work was fine.  Played more terrible golf on Tuesday.  Honestly, I’m almost to the point where I might give up golfing.  It is no longer fun.  I’m to the point where I dread having to go to golf league every week…and that’s not fun.  Maybe I just need to save it as a true, casual activity with friends, rather than something competitive.  I get so damn competitive…I just want to do my best.  Sigh.  Whatever.  Had a very interesting dinner at home with my parents and some of their friends Thursday night.  Won’t get into details here, but it was a good dinner!  And mom’s paella was incredible. 

This weekend was pretty low key.  Saturday Sean and I started the process of finding a place to rent his (and the wedding party’s) tuxes from.  It was awesome to see him, and I think we’ve found a place and a suit we like…so now its just a matter of Sean getting fitted up and finding the best one for him!  Moving right along there!  Then Saturday evening Elaine and I rolled over to Livermore for the evening to her cousin’s house.  There I ended up lounging around doing not a whole lot while the girls worked on wedding preparation stuff.  Not the most exciting of times for me, but it had to be done, and they made good progress, it seemed.  The next day we rolled across the Valley to Lake Don Pedro for a day of boating and BBQing.  And, yeah, that was pretty legit.  Ended up being very chill sitting out in the sun, munching on some sausages, and working on my base tan.  I’m still pasty white, but its getting better.

Never ended up getting out on the lake to do any wakeboarding or tubing or whatever…but there were a lotta kiddos there, and its important for them to be entertained.  Not a big deal.  Ended up being a lotta driving again this weekend, though.  Just under two hours each way between Livermore and the Lake.  30 minutes each way between my house and Livermore.  Its like a Williams weekend all over again, except it was all mostly in one day!  Insane.  I spend way too much time in the car.

Won’t be an issue this coming weekend, though, as the next Q’s Adventure takes me out to Las Vegas this weekend, starting Thursday night!  Should be a good one!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

At least you were not the driver!

ZeroIndulgence said...

Very true! I did escape driving duties both weekends! Thank you!

Jason said...

Have a great weekend in Vegas bro! We should catch up when you get back.