January 28, 2012

The World According to Patrick

I've been doing far too much thinking lately. About many things. Its keeping me up at night. Especially last night, when I didn't fall asleep until after 3am (which is probably why I slept in until noon today...no work, woo!). Needless to say, this needs to stop. I think it will...but for now, I believe I have learned the ultimate goal of life. Not bad for one night's work. I"m not going to go patting myself on the back quite yet. It's very possible this is just MY ultimate goal in life...and not a universal maxim. But I figured I should write down my thoughts anyways, and let you guys judge for yourself whether I might be on to something here.

The ultimate goal in life is to rid one's life of boredom.

That's it. It's as simple as that! I think everything that people do in life, and definitely everything I do in life, is all an attempt, consciously or unconsciously, to avoid being bored with life. Hogwash, you say? Well, maybe. I'll never pretend to have all the answers, or be right ALL the time (just most of the time). But in this case, I think I'm on to something.

Why do people go to work? Two reasons...because sitting around at home all day would be boring/they love their job and its interesting to them; and to make money to spend doing things that avoid boredom. Vacations, activities, etc.

Why do people fall in love and get married? Well, because they love the person...and being with that person, no matter what the two of you are doing, is not awful and boring. And you want to hold onto that. Love, of course, is probably much deeper than that...but I think the quest to avoid being bored is a part of it.

My goal in life is to avoid boredom. Everything I do seems to be towards that end. So when I started thinking about it, it seemed that everything people did seemed to be towards this end as well. So, who knows. Maybe this works, maybe it doesn't. For me, this simplification of life makes me happy...and seems to explain why things are the way they are. So there we are.

Agree? Disagree? Have a better idea? Please let me know!

Many, many other things floating around the old noggin right now. Not for public consumption at present, though. Also, played some softball tonight, had a good time, so I'm in good spirits, and oddly at peace with the world right now.

Anyways, that's enough rambling for one night. Back at it tomorrow morning, when the quest to avoid boredom continues!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sounds like sound reasoning. The top reason I love Kenny cause he makes me laugh and we have fun together. I refuse to quit my jobs because I'd go crazy sitting around the house with nothing to do. It seems like most people who hate their job don't hate it cause it's difficult but rather boring and repeative. I really think you're on to something here...