June 28, 2010

MMR: Taking One For The Team

The tossing of the wedding garter is a tradition at wedding that dates back to 14th century France. The garter is worn on the bride's right leg, above the knee. And after the tossing of the bouquet to the single ladies, the groom goes in and retrieves the garter to throw to the single men. As legend has it, those who catch it will be the next of the group to marry.

That last part, of course, is horseshit. I caught the garder once at a wedding when I was like 10. I suspect someone at that wedding has since gotten married before I have. But that is not the point of this blog post.

The point of this blogpost is to discuss the last wedding I was at this past weekend. When they ask for single guys to go to the floor, those with long term girlfriends always get pushed to the floor by their expectant girlfriends, hoping their man catches the garter. The men go, grudgingly, to the floor, in the hopes that someone else will catch the garter. A wedding I was at last year, all the men moved as soon as it was tossed, and it landed at some dude's feet. Poor guy (his girl had caught the bouquet too...double whammy).

This time, I decided to take one for the team. There were plenty of guys there, my friends and whatnot, who all had girlfriends that really want to get married. The guys are more reluctant (as one would expect), and thus do not need the added pressure that accidentally catching the garter would bring. Could you imagine? "Oh my god, honey, you caught the garter! That means we're the next to get married! Why haven't you proposed to me yet? WHY AREN'T WE MARRIED YET! YOU CAUGHT THE GARTER, LET'S DO THIS!!" Not fun.

So when the single men lined up, I sauntered my way to the front. And when Jason tossed the garter, it hit me right in the chest. Mission accomplished. No one was going to bother me about getting married. I don't have a girlfriend, and I don't have any real prospects (sigh), so I could catch this with no repercussions. So, I did my boys a solid.

Apparently the checks are in the mail! :-P

3 comments:

Julie said...

Careful, Pat. I caught the boquet at my friend Kerry's wedding, and we all know what happened a week later....

ZeroIndulgence said...

Yes, but you already had a serious Kenny by that point. I'm pretty single...so I think I'm safe.

Julie said...

Just saying :-P