June 08, 2010

(T)MMR: Battling the Network

Sorry the MMR is a day late. This is the story of why that is...

So yesterday, I was at work for 9 hours, and didn't get a single thing done! Yes, this is somewhat unusual... I mean, I've had slow days, weeks, etc. But never have I ever gone an entire day without getting a single thing accomplished. Yesterday was that day!

But no, I was not slacking off. I didn't spend the entire day online. Actually, that's kinda the point...I didn't spend a single second of today online at all. When I showed up to work yesterday, my computer could not connect to the network...at all.

This is an issue, when my entire job is on the network. I live and die by my network access...so this is bad. So I check all the connections, they're good. I try just restarting, see if it's a glitch, nothing. I try to repair my connection, and it says its not getting an address from the network host or whatever...so it's time to call IT.

IT tries the same things I already did (IP renew, winsockfix, etc.). And then says "check the machine for viruses, and I'm going to send over a winsockfix program to run to Brandon, so get that from him and run it". So I do. The tool doesn't fix anything, but the virus checks I run do find some trojans. Nasty.

So I get them cleaned off, restart...still not fixed. I run my virus scans again, and it finds nothing, so it was clean (I have good tools...it takes care of business). So I call up IT again, and they have no ideas (way to earn that paycheck). So its up to me and Brandon to try to figure shit out. So we first try to use Norton Ghost to copy an old, cached version of my hard drive to a clean hard drive we have laying around. No dice. Try an older version, no dice.

So then we try to move my HD to a different machine we have lying around, and SUCCESS! I can get on the network. So we decide its a bad network card, and by this point its 6pm, and I want to leave. So I let McAfee run another virus check, and leave for the day.

I come in this morning thinking the problem will be solved, and all I'd have to do is put the computers back together and it'd be good to go. No, I'm not nearly that lucky.

I get in and log back onto the computer, and the virus checker had frozen at 99%. And the computer is locked up, so I reboot...and bam, same problem, can't get to the network.

FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

I thought we had this shit settled! But no, I'm still locked out. I literally cannot go another day with doing no work. I at least have to check my e-mail and get on the LAN for some things. So, I logged onto the network on one of the machines in an empty cube, and can now access the LAN, and at least get my web e-mail. So I got my important work done, and I got my e-mail checked, and e-mailed and got back the information I needed. So at least there's that.

And my computer is in Brandon's office right now, and he's troubleshooting it. I feel really bad bringing this on him, but there's no one else to help. Hopefully we'll figure this shit out, and I won't need a new computer (that will have the new IT restrictions...meaning I can't load my own programs onto it...I need IT to do it...bye bye virus tools).

But, for now, this is still an ongoing battle...

No comments: