June 01, 2010

(T)MMR: Los Angeles Sports Teams and Me

This week we get a (T)MMR, due to yesterday's holiday. I spent the day sleeping in, helping Sean get a new phone (and a traffic citation), playing tennis and soccer, and eating pizza. An active enough day off! So, it's Tuesday, I'm back at work, and because it's become a talking point here and there recently, I figured I'd briefly talk about why I am a fan of some LA sports teams!

When I was a wee small lad, just one day old, as a matter of fact, the Los Angeles Dodgers were in the playoffs against the Philadelphia Phillies. My father, having grown up in the LA area, was a Dodgers fan, naturally. While the Dodgers were playing, he held little ol me up to the TV said said "Look Patrick, those are the Dodgers. They are good!" And thus, my fandom of certain LA teams was born (and probably my hatred of the Phillies...jerks).

So, I was bred to be a Dodgers fan. But not everything goes as planned. Being as we lived in the Bay Area, going to Dodgers games would have been quite the trek. Thus, it was time to pick between the two Bay Area teams to give my allegiance to. Of course, that's an easy decision for any budding Dodgers fan. Father would never raise a Giants fan, so I became a fan of the A's. A's and Dodgers, my two baseball teams. I have to say, when they play one another, I pull for the A's. But otherwise, I'm true blue.

The other "LA" baseball team is an impostor and evil...and will not be talked about in this blogpost again...

LA has no football team, and the Niners were in the Bay Area, and winning in the 80s (my formative years), so that was easy.

Basketball is, once again, where my LA fandom comes into play. I've been a lifelong Lakers fan. Once again, I'm pretty sure I have my dad to thank for this, as he grew up a Lakers fan. I've never been a huge NBA fan...but when I do watch, I cheer for the Lakers. I should probably really thank my father for making me a Lakers fan...as since I've been born, the Lakers have won 7 NBA Championships (and could win yet another this year...if they can get by the hated Celtics). The local team, the Warriors, have been one of the worst franchises in sports lately...the source of much hoops heartbreak and frusteration. I'd like to see them do well, but not at the expense of the Lakers! So, I've been a Lakers fan my whole life.

The only other place would be hockey, but I did not become a hockey fan until 1991, when the Sharks opened up shop here in the Bay Area, and have been a huge fan of Team Teal ever since. So, no Kings for me. But my dad was not a hockey fan, so he never taught me to be a hockey fan. I became a hockey fan all myself...and the Sharks are my boys. Probably my favorite franchise across all sports.

Anyways, that's it! Rain down the hate if you want...but when the Lakers and Dodgers are celebrating their next championships, I'll be enjoying every minute of it!

No comments: