February 25, 2008

MMR: To gym or not to gym

So, I'm thinking it's time to get into shape. Like, pretty decent shape. I couldda decided this before now, but a few things had been stopping me:

1) a complete lack of motivation. personally, I don't mind being overweight. I like to eat good food. I like not exercising. These are things I enjoy doing. Why spend your life doing things you don't enjoy just to live longer? Aren't you just prolonging the pain?

2) a distain for all things cardio. I hate to run. I also hate to bike ride. If I'm going to do something cardio related, I want it to be something fun. Like before when I was a dancer, or playing a sport. These things are fun and exercise! Running in circles is no fun. Now, I think if I had a tredmill in my room, I'd be happy to run while watching a movie or something to keep my mind off of it. But I do not. So there we are.

3) a dislike for gyms. Here's the big one. I just don't like them. I'm not particularly self conscious, but I'm also rather shy. Gyms are crowded, and I wouldn't really fight for my spot in line for the machines I want. If things are crowded, which they would be during the times I have free to work out (you know, the same times everyone has to work out...after work), I'd probably get discouraged and leave. Of course, they have tredmills and tvs, so that would be nice. Gyms are expensive too...


But, I've started thinking about just joining the local 24-hour fitness center. If anything, I could stop in after work and run for 30 mins before I went home. It's not like I do anything productive after work anyways. And I think if I get in the routine of stopping at the gym after work every day, I'd continue to do so...you know, once I got past the painful first few weeks and just got used to doing it.

I guess I need a spark. Something to get my ass to the gym when I'm driving home from work, tired and ready to just relax. I was going to go sign up today, but then I got off work a little later than I wanted to, and I was falling asleep on the drive home, and I just said fuck it and went home. This is what I battle. I need a spark to get going. I just don't know what it's going to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i ate a sandwich while reading this article

Jimmy B