Time for a good, old fashioned rant!
One of my pet peeves, even though it only happens once every 2 years, is having to get my car smog checked. It's a hassle, it costs nearly as much as the registration itself, and it takes forever! You have to schedule an appointment to get it done. They work when you work, so you have to take time out of your day, thus losing money. It's just a huge waste of my time.
The point of a smog check is to make sure your car meets emission standards. Which, I guess, is a good thing. However, most cars are made to far exceed the government's regulated emission standards. Thus, testing every other year is probably unnecessary. Like, maybe once every 5 years would suffice. Especially if you passed the last one without incident and your car appears to be in good shape at the time of your last smog check. It should be like an audit of your car. If you pass and there's no findings, you should be given a reprieve for the next 5 years!
The cost of a smog check is stupid too. This year its going to cost me 96 bucks to register my car, but like 60 bucks to get it smogged. How does that make sense! If the government wants me to get my car smog checked, shouldn't they be footing the bill? And then, if something is found to be in error, then I have to pay even more to get it fixed! I mean, seriously, it's pretty ridiculous that the government would make you pay to enforce their standards. It's like a job that makes you pay for training on their procedures. That would be ridiculous.
Then, you have to call in and make an appointment, and talk to someone with an accent so thick that you can't tell if they are telling you to come in at 4pm or 5pm! Either of which would mean leaving work a little early, thus missing out on the money I could have earned to pay for the smog check in the first place!
This just all seems like a poorly planned and executed system.
Anyways, I should get back to work. I need to leave early today to get my truck smog checked at either 4 or 5 today...I'm not sure which.
2 comments:
By the way, my Smog Check appointment today was just as annoying as I described here. I left work early, I got there right on time, and got right in and right out. But it took 45 minutes, and I had to sit in a little room listening to my squeeling truck (since I refuse to fix it for some reason). It passed. Again. By a lot. Again. You would think that since my truck keeps passing the smog check by a lot, the DMV would let me wait, you know, 5 years before having to do it again. Ugh.
my car sat unmoved for 2 years, and passed smog on the first try, I agree that a better system need to be in place, such as BJs for passing
Jimmy B
Post a Comment