Hi all, and sorry again about ditching out on writing in this wonderful blog. You see, I have led a rather uninteresting life lately, but a slightly busier one than usual, so it’s made making time to write scarce. Also, I’ve really had nothing but politics to write about, and I’d hate to force everyone to read my Libertarian drivel every time they log over. However, it’s been a few weeks, so I figure it’s as good a time as any to do one of those random thoughts blogs about what I’ve been up to and what’s going through my brain. It will most likely be tedious, self-serving, and dull…but such is life! Can’t get exciting, hard hitting analysis all the time!
So, let’s begin…
Work: So, we will be moving out of our current suite at the end of the year…and into a smaller one. We just never grew into this suite like we had hoped, so it’s time to save some money. That means things have been slightly busier for me. Gotta go look at spaces, compare costs, find floorplans, and in general figure out what we’re going to do. We have a broker on retainer doing most of the legwork, but I’m the point of contact here…so its led to an uptick in work. Once we get a space picked and a lease signed, though…then the real work will begin. Needless to say, I’ll probably be pretty busy between now and Christmas.
Teeth: One of my wisdom teeth finally decided to start coming in. Which is great…except for it means that it’s time to have them removed….which sounds less fun. However, after talking to the oral surgeon, it doesn’t seem like it will be that big a deal. First, I have no bottom wisdom teeth. They never existed. Which, I’ve decided, makes me a much more evolved human being than most. However, the evolution stopped there, since I do have the top ones. But, I won’t have to be put under…just local numbing. And I should be feeling fine by the next evening overall. So, all in all, it could be worse. The extraction will be happening after Thanksgiving.
Sharks: Sharks season has begun in earnest. We’re about a month into the season, and we have 17 standings points…good for 5th in the Western Conference. Not bad. Nice to not already be in a giant hole like we were last year. However, our record is even more impressive when you consider the Sharks have been force feeding starts to their worst goaltender (and one of the worst goaltenders in the league) Antti Niemi. You see, Niemi is a terrible goaltender who lucked into playing behind the greatest hockey team iced since the lockout (Chicago 2009-2010). Thus, he has a Stanley Cup win, despite having the worst save percentage in the playoffs of any Cup winning goaltender ever. EVER! But the Sharks don’t see that. They force feed him starts. So far, he has single handedly lost us 5 standings points (2 bad losses, and one come from ahead loss in OT)…and also had to be bailed out once by the sterling Thomas Greiss, who came on in relief and got us a win. Start Greiss, who is super talented, and we most likely have those 5 points. Which would give us 22 standings points…good for 1st in the NHL. So, yeah, the Sharks are pretty good…and would be pretty damn elite if their idiot coach would start the right goaltender.
Sadly, with their infatuation with Antti Niemi, I don’t see the Sharks winning the Cup this year…yet again. Goaltending is so important to a team’s Cup chances (see: Thomas, Tim). If you have a great team, and your goalie is a sieve, then you will not be able to get through enough playoff series to win the Cup. Simple as that. Guess I just have to hope the coaches come to their senses and start Greiss. Or that Niemi somehow magically evolves into a competent NHL caliber goaltender (which seems unlikely, given his terrible history).
A’s: The A’s are dead to me. They have stated they are not spending any money this offseason, or ever again until MLB tells them whether they can move to San Jose or not. And since MLB has shown no desire whatsoever to tell the A’s anything, well, it doesn’t look good for the A’s being a MLB caliber baseball team anytime soon. I think its pretty shitty for the A’s to intentionally tank a season like this just to get a new stadium. I agree that they should be allowed to move to SJ, and that MLB has taken far too long in this…but seriously, at least try to give us a worthwhile product. I understand its business, but I don’t have to like it. Guess I’ll just do what they want and stay home.
Dodgers: With the A’s dead to me for the time being, it means I’ll have to jump full bore into the Dodgers next season. Things are trending upwards for True Blue, as their idiot owner is selling the team. Mark Cuban is said to be interested, which would be amazing. But more important would be that a new owner will be allowed to negotiate a new TV contract and get the Dodgers some serious bankroll. Then, we can start fielding winners again, which would be nice! Could be a big season for the Dodgers this year…especially with Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw on the team.
Niners: The Niners are 7-1. THE NINERS ARE 7-1! HOW UNLIKELY IS THIS??? I’M SO STUNNED!!! Hopefully they keep it up. Having a team to root for in the playoffs, even if it’s only for once game, would be pretty awesome. It’s been FOREVER!
80: This Saturday is my grandpa’s 80th birthday, which is pretty awesome. I hope to make it to 80 someday. I’m gonna head down to Lancaster this weekend to go out to dinner with him and the family, so that should be pretty legit. Then I’ll go back down to Lancaster a week and a half later for Thanksgiving. Woo! Family time!
75: That’s the number of pounds I’ve lost so far. Which, now that I see it in print, seems like a big number. However, looking in the mirror, I’m less impressed. Guess I better keep going…
Penn State: I’m actually rather disgusted by the reports coming out of State College, PA. A man using his position of power to sodomize little boys is so far removed from the realm of anything that should ever happen, it still boggles my mind. And no one seemed to care…that’s the worst part. I think people should lay off Joe Paterno, though. He did his part…he got a vague report, and told his supervisors, who should have called the police and figured this shit out a decade ago. Now, should Paterno have followed up on his report? Absolutely. And he could have called the cops himself. But he is far from the most egregious offender in all of this (the Grand Jury didn’t indict him, like they did others, so I’m inclined to cut him some slack). The media sees a story and runs with it. No one cares if an AD gets arrested…but if you can assassinate the character of one of the greatest and kindest men in College Football history, well, that gets readers. I guess I’m just mad at everyone. Penn State should have been more worried about the boys being raped than their college’s position of power. And the media should be gathering facts, not partaking in character assassination. Fuck everyone. What a sick, disgusting story this is.
Hawaii: It’s so on. Headed out to Kauai for 10 days in April. I’m really, really, really looking forward to it.
OK, this has gone on long enough. I need to stop. Guess I had more to talk about than I realized. I’ll try to write more. My annual defense of Thanksgiving is still to come. Also, I will probably write more on politics. It’s unavoidable. I might post a Weekly Question here and there too…that seemed like a big hit. December might see the return of the 12 Days of Patmas. Or not. I might do something else. Either way, it will be entertaining.
Cheers!
4 comments:
I was just getting ready to leave an angry "Why haven't you blogged yet?" message on facebook. Glad to know you're still alive. Also 75?! Amazing work! Very proud.
Yeah, blogging will pick up over the holidays. I'll make sure of it!
Good all around Pat. I actually wanted a review of the last Repub debate, which I actually saw a part of.
JMB
Haha, that last debate was ridiculous. I only watched part of it, though.
Post a Comment