I did one of these a few weeks ago, and it seemed to generate some actual conversation, which is pretty cool. So, let’s do another one. For this Question of the Week (timeframe approximate), let’s go with the following:
What is your favorite city in the entire world that you’ve ever been to? And why? What makes it so fun/incredible/etc.?
I know, another travel question, but this one is on past travel, not future travel. And it’s more of an informative one for me, as I’m always looking for suggestions of places to travel and visit…and for things to do when I’m there.
For me, I’m torn between two cities I’ve really enjoyed. I’d probably have to give the nod to Chicago. The Windy City has thoroughly entertained me both times I’ve been there. Between the Sears Tower, Cubs and White Sox Games (LOVED Wrigley Field), Blackhawks Games, The Art Institute, The Field Museum…there’s so much to do there. And I’ve just scratched the tip. It was super easy to get around on the train system. And the food…man, the deep dish pizza there is to die for. I really, really want to go back and spend more time there.
New Orleans came in a close second…the food is phenomenal, and the music and festive atmosphere of the French Quarter is really quite enjoyable. That’s another place I’d love to get back to asap.
So, let’s have it. Favorite cities in the World…go!
3 comments:
Dude, did you write this question for me? :-D
Since Damascus is no longer the peaceful city that it once was, I'm leaning towards Jerusalem, and not just for personal religious reasons. It's exhilarating on so many levels, from the history to the blend of cultures and religions. I get chills whenever I think of my two trips there (2007 and 2009).
Other personal favorites = Rio de Janeiro, Sydney, Vancouver (although I've lost a ton of respect for it for obvious reasons), Charleston (SC), Pittsburgh (you know this firsthand), Quebec City, Rome, Paris, Kiev, Minsk (Belarus), Portland (OR), Stockholm, Tallin (Estonia), Moscow, Krakow (Poland), Bergen (Norway), Berlin (Berlin!!!), Brussels (Brussels!!!), Santiago (Chile), Vilnius (Lithuania) and Budapest (esp. the Buda part).
Cities I detest (although my opinion might change if I ever go back) = London (mostly because I've been too many times and I'm sick of it), Florence (too many tourists jammed into a super tiny city), Athens (way too muggy and dingy), Helsinki (too Stalinistic for a non-Soviet country), Oslo (even Helsinki has more of a pulse than the least exciting Scandinavian capital) and Brisbane (Australia - too boring for such a large city).
Cities I hated at first but grew to appreciate = Dublin, Cork (also Ireland), Galway (again, also Ireland), Buenos Aires (not Ireland!), St. Petersburg (I thought I would love it way more than I actually did, since I'm a Dostoevsky fan - Moscow was more my speed), Toronto, and Riga (Latvia - which I appreciated more after I left, going through all my photos... I was in a bad mood when I went through there).
Hope that helps - let me know where your next travels take you.
Galway, Ireland. It was absolutely the perfect mixture of a quant irish town and a fun little city. They had great shopping, great pubs, great restuarants. Everyone there was super nice and friendly. I got to stay at a great hotel with delicious seafood dinner. At night I went to a dance club that was filled with people from all over Europe. It seriously had everything I wanted in a place.
Honorable mentions to (and I bet you saw this coming) Philadelphia! Yes, I'm baised, but you can't deny they don't have great food and amazing history. Our country was founded there! There are so many great museums, restaurants, shops. Plus, a few awesome sports teams. Also, I'd agree with you on Chicago. I went in December (freezing cold!) but still had an amazing time. Great food, fun museums, plenty to do. The public transportation wasn't too bad at all either.
As I'm typing this, I'm getting majorly hungry for fish, cheesesteaks, pretzels and deep dish pizza. :-( Good question.
London is probably first. I loved every moment of my trips there. The food was great, the history was jaw dropping and the theater terrific.
2nd would probably be New York. I love the energy that the city has and of course the theater there.
Post a Comment