A recent Gallup poll found that 52% of Republicans rejected the theory of evolution in favor of creationism while 36% said they believed in an evolutionary process guided by God. Just 8 percent of Republicans said they believed in evolution without any intervention from God.And this is exactly why the Republican Party is in trouble. Listen, I don't care what your religious beliefs are. However, when one of the main tenants of your political views is to REJECT solid science and promote religious beliefs as political strategy...well, you're going to alienate a very large chunk of the electorate. When did the Republican Party become the Party of politicizing God and rejecting science?
I need to go rethink some things. Jimmy B might have it right...
7 comments:
Scary, right? Looks like the GOP has forgotten about the separation of church and state of late.
Not exactly. I mean, the "separation of church and state" was really a response to Britain's state sponsored religion. Our government is supposed to allow people to worship whatever religion they want. And on the law books, this is true. People tend to take "separation of church and state" way too far (i.e. the uproar of Under God in the Pledge, and not being allowed to put up mangers at Christmas).
What Republicans are doing, basically, is not appealing across religions. Which is a bad idea in a country where there are many (or where you are free to follow none). And they are so close minded about it, that no one who actually does forget about religion and just wants to focus on actual, important issues cannot get elected in the Republican Party. Its absurd.
But you are right, Jason. It is terrifying. Especially when this attitude automatically hands the country to whacko liberals who want to spend us into oblivion.
I tell you man, I did not leave the party, the part left me
JMB
Don't let these statistics bother you. It'd be the same as if hearing 52% of democrats smoke pot. In the long run does it really matter? Like Jason said there's a seperation of church and state so what people believe in their off time shouldn't matter. I'm tired of being held accountable for every republican stereotype. No, I don't hate gays, or love jesus, or whatever. I just believe in government staying out of my business as much as possible. As republican's we just have to stand our ground as much as possible and stick to the actual issues and not where we spend our sundays.
Pat, you are obviously correct in that our system still enables individuals to worship however they choose (or not). That said, the consistent alienation of individuals of other religions by party leaders seems to flirt a little closer to this separation than would otherwise be ideal. Yes, from a legal standpoint people can worship how they choose, but in a culture such as ours with such a varied mix of beliefs, it isn't too much of a leap to include preaching of our leadership, and by extension alienation of constituents, under the separation clause - and this from a Christian who puts up a manger at Christmas! I guess it's the libertarian coming out in me :p
It has also occurred to me that this could partially be a function of excessive liberal media hype over general practices that have been occurring in the bible belt for as long as this country has existed. If it wasn't for the attention that people like Rick Perry have been getting, I would have never known that he has been essentially giving political sermons in Texas. Although I might also be out of the loop on this one since I’ll admit I don’t watch the news much (shame).
Post a Comment