With baseball starting up its engines this week, its time for me to do my annual beginning of the year predictions again! Hooray! Last season, I got 1 of 4 AL playoff teams correct, and 2 of 4 NL playoff teams correct. My predicted World Series winner didn’t even make the playoffs. I did get 1 of 6 season awards right (NL Cy Young).
That’s not very good. But that doesn’t mean I should give up! I gotta go at it harder than ever! So, let’s try this again. Here are my 2011 baseball season predictions.
Division and Wild Card Winners:
AL West: Oakland (2nd: Texas , 3rd: Anaheim , 4th: Seattle )
AL Central: Chicago (2nd: Minneasota, 3rd: Detroit , 4th: Kansas City , 5th: Cleveland )
AL East: Boston (2nd: New York , 3rd: Tampa Bay , 4th: Toronto , 5th: Baltimore )
Wild Card: New York
I’m pretty sure there’s a baseball rule that states the Wild Card has to come out of the AL East, so that’s where I’ll go with it. New York and Boston are pretty much interchangeable. I hope they both lose and miss the playoffs (Go Orioles!), but that’s as likely as me being approached by Mila Kunis while I’m out and about for a night of epic romance. Not happening. I’ll go homer and pick the A’s to win the West. Their pitching is unreal…so hopefully their offensive additions can keep up. The Central is dumb…I’ll just flip a coin. Tails never fails, so Chicago it is.
NL West: San Francisco (2nd: Colorado , 3rd: Los Angeles , 4th: San Diego , 5th: Arizona )
NL Central: Cincinnati (2nd: St. Louis , 3rd: Milwaukee , 4th: Chicago , 5th: Houston , 6th: Pittsburgh )
NL East: Philadelphia (2nd: Atlanta , 3rd: Washington , 4th: New York , 5th: Florida )
Wild Card: Colorado
Playoffs
You know, this is pretty homer of me, picking Oakland to go to the World Series…but with their pitching, they can mow through anyone in October. I mean, if they just can make the playoffs, I think they make a run! Getting in will be tough for them, though. Philly, on the other hand, is just a great team. Them losing to SF last season was a fluke, and won’t happen again. They’re just too good right now to not win another World Series. But imagine a World Series with Halladay, Lee, Oswalt, Hamels, Anderson, Cahill, Gonzalez, and Braden. I’m pretty sure all 8 of those pitchers had obscene QS and ERA+ stats last year. What a pitchers duel every night. I’m going to hope for that! Although I’ll be crushed if the A’s actually make the World Series, only to lose…
Season Awards:
NL MVP: Albert Pujols - STL
AL Cy Young: Brett Anderson - OAK
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay - PHI
AL RoY: Jeremy Hellickson - TB
NL RoY: Brandon Belt - SF
And, I'll steal this disclaimer from Gregg Easterbrook: "All predictions wrong or your money back!"
3 comments:
I hope you are correct in your predictions.
If my predictions do bear out, you and I will have to be at war for a few weeks. I'm sure you understand...
Of course. I went through the same with my father and sister in law last year.
Post a Comment