February 08, 2011

(T)MMR: Flight Woes

I actually have very little to complain about on my recent trip to Boston. Everything went pretty much perfectly; which is pretty awesome for a trip to Boston in February with some unknown factors involved. However, I’ll get to the trip itself later in my Q’s Adventures write-up. Today, we need a rant, so I will rant (no, not really rant, just explain a minor inconvenience I had) about the one minor snafu on the trip…my flights home!

I was originally booked on a flight from Boston, stopping in Chicago, and continuing on to San Jose. I was going to stay on the same plane, same seats, etc. It was going to be nice and quick (you know, as quick as a cross-country flight with one stop can be). Of course, I was booked in first class, so it was going to be rather pleasant. But it was cancelled. I guess Chicago had an ice storm or something…but my flight was the only one cancelled. Awesome.

But they rebooked me right away on a new flight, this one going to Dallas, then a change of planes, and I’d be off to San Jose. I was supposed to get in just an hour later than I would have otherwise…not too terrible. However, it did add to my flying time. Boston to Chicago is a 2 hour, 50 minute flight. Boston to Dallas is a 4 hour, 30 minute flight. That’s actually quite a difference. Instead of a shorter first flight, I was in for the long haul. I made up a little on the back end (Chicago to San Jose is 4 hours 25 minutes, while Dallas to San Jose is 3 hours 45 minutes), but it still ended up being an extra full hour in the air…and 8 hours 15 minutes of total in air time. That’s more air time than it takes to get to Hawaii (where I’m going in 2 weeks)!

The flight I was booked on was also a short connection…50 minutes. And we left 25 minutes late out of Boston. Dallas is not a small airport…actually it is quite large. However, it is pretty easy to get around. However, I was still pretty worried. I ended up making it with about 10 minutes to spare (after making it gate to gate, with a terminal change, in under 10 minutes…not too bad!), but it just all felt rushed. And I had to board with the coach passengers (well, I got to cut in front of them in line to have my ticket scanned…but I had to wait in the line in the jetway of everyone filing into the plane. ANNOYING!).

One final annoying thing about the flight change. If I was on my original set of flights, the entire flight would have been on a Boeing 737-800. It’s a nice plane, and the first class is very, very roomy. Going through Dallas, only the first flight was on a 737-800. The second flight was on a Super 80…which really isn’t that big. I dunno, its just not as nice a plane.

I guess this whole minor inconvenience can be filed under “Upper Class First World Problems.” Yeah, I lead a spoiled life if plane type and how nice First Class was is the only thing I have to complain about.

The First Class service on the flight to Dallas, though, was pretty great. 3 course meal (shrimp cocktail, chicken and potatoes, and a grapes and cheese plate), a couple rum and cokes, hot towel to freshen up with…very nice. I slept on the flight from Dallas to San Jose for the most part, so it didn’t matter what was going on. Also, it’s much easier to sleep in First Class than it is in Coach (on my LA-BOS flight, I actually slept about 3 hours). Maybe I should just book all my redeye flights First Class…although I’m not really that rich.

Anyways, check back in a day or two for my Q’s Adventures: Boston. Probably complete with pictures! Woo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a spoiled child.

Julie said...

Yeah, I kinda hate you. I'm not even flying first class on my honeymoon. And they tried to split up seating Ken and I next to each other. I had to call and beg to sit next to my husband..... on my honeymoon.... while flying coach. Also, I don't know when I get to go to Hawaii next in my life. :-P

ZeroIndulgence said...

MY PROBLEMS ARE IMPORTANT!!!!!!!