Today's (T)MMR is a rant about the most dick ad I've seen yet. Mymclife (an internet friend from the Sharks fanblog I'm a part of) posted a link to the ad today on twitter and was equally outraged. Here it is:

Please tell me I'm not completely out of line to be extremely offended by this ad. Not only is it a huge slap in the face to America right before the 9th anniversary of that tragic day, but what the ad implies is also completely wrong! Are they actually trying to say that if the World Trade Towers were built shorter, that the terrorists wouldn't have crashed planes into them? This implies that 9/11 was just an aviation accident! Where the fuck does a newspaper, especially a pussy French newspaper, get off even talking about 9/11, not to mention trying to make light of the issue and pass it off as a fluke accident that we could have avoided???
This is just so wrong on so many levels, I can't even describe how irritated something like this makes me. I still remember the morning of 9/11 quite clearly (which is a feat unto itself, because I don't remember much from high school). It was super early, as always, and I was just waking up and stumbling towards my bedroom door when it flies open, almost hitting me in the face. My sister was running in to say, "Patrick, come into mom's room, something's happening in New York." So I blearily head into mom's room to get a recap. A plane had crashed into one of the world trade towers, and no one really knew what was going on. As we watched the news a little bit, I saw the live footage of plane number 2 crashing into the second tower shortly after 6am PST. At that point I was wide awake, as it was very clear that we were under attack.
But, I still had to go to school. Driving to school, I had the radio on, and about the time I got to school, the first tower collapsed. The second tower collapsed shortly thereafter, while I was watching on a TV at school. We didn't do anything that day at school but watch the news and watch the story unfold. It was pretty surreal, to tell you the truth. And a little scary.
I remember there being a lot of confusion that day. Everywhere there was confusion. When the second plane hit the towers, no one knew what the hell was going on. There were reports of a plane hitting the Pentagon. There were reports of bombs going off in the State Building. There were reports of more planes being hijacked. It was mass hysteria. I'm impressed the U.S., and George W. Bush, handled that day as well as they did. They got all the planes grounded, they got the emergency responders where they needed to be (Rudy Giuliani and NYC deserve a lot of credit too). And for the most part, the citizens, while scared, remained calm and life continued on. Such a horrific tragedy, but it did not break America, it did not send us into anarchy...for a few short months, the country was finally united against something. Sadly, we have delved again into politics and partisan bickering over everything once again. But for a while, the U.S. was united and stood strong together. TAKE THAT, BIN LADEN!
Something that is still so clear in my memory, and I was but a witness to the disaster, not remotely a part of it, is a pretty big deal. 9/11 is still a really big deal in this country. It really makes me angry that a french newspaper would print something like this. These aren't the kinds of things you make light about...especially when your country in no way, shape, or form, was willing to help find those responsible and bring them to justice. You sat on the sidelines, spouted off arrogance about the U.S., and now have the audacity to make light of the situation? To imply it was an accident that could have been avoided? I'm sorry, but Courrier International, you are the lowest, slimiest, most ignorant newspaper in the world now (which is saying something after reading most of the rubbish the New York Times prints).
1 comment:
Well written. That ad is awful. I remember that day very clearly. It still gives me butterflies in my stomach when I remember it.
Post a Comment