September 25, 2010

2010-2011 Hockey Predictions!

Last year was the first year I did this, and I wasn't terrible in the predicting of the playoff teams (5 correct in the West, 6 in the East). I was terrible, though, at the player postseason awards, though. So, so bad. Didn't get a single one right. Ah well. All predictions wrong, or your money back!

Anyways, I'm back at it again. Time to predict the future (poorly). NHL's regular season starts in a few weeks, so get ready!

Western Conference:

Pacific: Los Angeles
Northwest: Vancouver
Central: Detroit
Other 5 Playoff Teams: San Jose, Chicago, Phoenix, Colorado, St. Louis

Conference Champion: Vancouver

I really want to pick the Sharks, and they got close last year. But their team has gotten substantially worse this offseason. I don't even see them winning the division. Chicago also lost their depth from their Cup run, and could have some problems (although they are still very, very good). Vancouver, though, got a whole lot better. They signed some defense to put in front of Luongo (who isn't great, but good enough behind their improved defense). They have the scoring, the defense, and the goalie to go far. I think they take the West this year (sadly).

Eastern Conference:

Southeast: Washington
Northeast: Boston
Atlantic: Pittsburgh
Other 5 Playoff Teams: New Jersey, Carolina, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Buffalo

Conference Champion: Washington

I said this last year, and they lost in the first round. But they really did get Halak'd. Dude was on fire. They won the President's Cup last year for a reason...they're a really explosive team. And if Varly and Neuvirth can stay healthy and consistant, they have the team to go all the way. Also, the East is shit. Assuming they can get by Pittsburgh (who has a great defense, but no scoring depth and shitty goaltending), they should cruise to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Stanley Cup Champion

Washington Capitals

This is their year, I think. They have outrageous scoring, young but now experienced goaltending, and an improving blueline. Adding John Carlson and Karl Alzner to their blueline full time will definately help things. And their scoring, oh my lord, all four lines can score, which is so important in the playoffs! If Semin can finally catch fire in the playoffs for once, this team could be unstoppable. Also, it would make my roommate Chris beyond happy if this happens, so there's always that!


Award Predictions:

I didn't get a single one right last year. Let's try again.

Hart Trophy (MVP): Alex Ovechkin, WAS
Art Ross (Most Points): Sidney Crosby, PIT
Rocket Richard (Most Goals): Dany Heatley, SJ
Vezina Award (Top Goalie): Tuuka Rask, BOS
Norris Trophy (Top D-man): Drew Doughty, LA
Selke Award (Top Defensive Forward): Ryan Kesler, VAN
Calder Award (Top Rookie): P.K. Subban, MON
Adams Award (Top Coach): Terry Murray, LA
Conn Smythe (Playoff MVP): Alex Ovechkin, WAS

So, yeah, all of these will be wrong come the end of the season...but its still fun to speculate.

Hockey season is upon us, and I couldn't be happier. See you at The Tank!

No comments: