Slated for the 30th
First off, I would like to take this moment, since it pertains to Q's Year quite a bit, to mention that for the first time ever, I've gone over 100 blog posts in a year. Which means one of two things. Either A) I'm an amazing writer with loads on my mind that is worth sharing with the world, or B) I've been really, really bored! Haha, either way, thanks for reading!
Moving right along, I'd have to say this year's list is not nearly as impressive as my 2008 list. However, even for a slow year, I still had my moments. I'm pretty sure everyone who knows me already knows was #1 is, but there might be some other enlightening points somewhere in there. Let's count down the top 10.
Amazing Personal Events of 2009:
First, the things that did not make the list: Sharks Opening Night, Various trips to San Diego, Traditional Thanksgiving in Lancaster, and One Epic Concert where I got to rock out to Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Saving Abel. Sometimes those events get used as filler, but I guess I did enough in my "slow year" to bump these from the list.
Oh, and we have a tie at number 10 again. Sorry, too many things deserve to make the list!
10. Ab Feed (Aug. 14-16). Was a hit, as always. Delicious food, gorgeous coastline. I think the weather was even better than usual this year, which was a plus! Bubs and Shayleigh came again, which is always good times.
10. SMS Memorial Golf Tournament (June 22). The Golf Tournament is always fun. This year was especially fun, though, because my team came in 2nd! That means I have a trophy for golf. Yup! I'm a badass...and so are The Hammer, The Local Legend, and Chaz! Woot!
9. Bodega Bay Weekend (March 6-8). This year had its ups and downs. One of the extreme downs was when my best friend's dad passed away in February. After the funeral and all that had passed, Bubs and I got away for a cathartic weekend in Bodega Bay. It ended up being very relaxing, and it was nice to get away from it all for a weekend.
8. Ventura Weekend w/ Jimmy B (July 30-Aug.2). Once again, I took a summer weekend roadtrip down the coast to Ventura to visit Jimmy B when he was home for the summer. And, once again, we had a good time. This time we spent our days out there on the coast...visiting The Getty Villa in Malibu and then heading over to Santa Monica. The Getty Villa was rather impressive. It had loads of old greek and roman artifacts. Then on Saturday Brill and I went golfing with Jimmy's dad, so that was fun too. All in all, a very good weekend! Always good to see the Brill!
7. Las Vegas One Night Stand (May 8-9). This ended up being one of the more amazing and random things I've ever done. One night Jason and I were bored, so we hopped a flight to Vegas for the evening. That's right, no hotel, no plans, no nothing...just hopped the last flight out of San Jose on Friday Night, and grabbed the first flight back Saturday Morning. In between, we did what any good man would do for a night in Vegas...you just don't get to hear about it! Because, you know, what happens in Vegas...etc. I can be pretty spontaneous sometimes, though!
6. Las Vegas for Bubba's Birthday (June 25-28). This was the only full weekend trip I took to Vegas all year, which is severely lacking. However, it was a good trip, as always. We ended up staying at the Wynn, which is a gorgeous hotel. Our room was on one of the very top floors, overlooking the golf course in the back. Very nice. We say the Cirque de Soleil show Ka when we were there, which was mighty impressive! We also happened upon the buffet and the Bellagio, which was the most amazing buffet I've ever seen! Kobe beef, rack of lamb, lobster stuffed ravioli, ostrich, etc. It was pure class! Other than those tidbits, we drank, and gambled, and did this, that, and the other! I love The Vegas!
5. Sunriver Week (July 13-19). The family took a vacation this year to Sunriver, Oregon. Sunriver is a little vacation/resort town just south of Bend, in Central Oregon. It really is a gorgeous area. The Cascades line the horizon to the West, which makes for a very pretty backdrop. And there's loads to do. We went golfing, we went whitewater rafting (grandma even went whitewater rafting, which was quite the achievement in and of itself!), viseted the High Desert Museum, and went to the top of Lava Butte...which provides for some awesome views of the state. Bubs and Shayleigh came up for the weekend which was nice. And on the way home, Bubs, Shayleigh, and I drove out to Crater Lake for lunch. I had never been to Crater Lake, and, oh my lord, it is gorgeous! The water is so blue! And calm...and clear! I just can't even describe it. Simply amazing. All in all, a very excellent week!
4. Birthday With Mom in Disneyland (Oct. 2-4). Mother had the most amazing idea for a Birthday present this year. She took me to Disneyland!!!!! I love Disneyland. Like, seriously, its unnatural. Anyways, mom and I flew down Friday, and got to spend an evening in the park. Hit a few rides, saw the fireworks. Saturday, my birthday, was a rocking good time. Hit all our favorite rides. Many times. We saw Fantasmic from the front, which, I don't have to tell you, is a rarity. The Haunted Mansion was all Nightmare Before Christmas'd out, which makes it a pretty incredible ride. Sunday we spent the day in the park, then flew out in the evening. I must say, it was a pretty legit bday present, and it was pretty awesome getting to spend time with me ma (and Bravo on Sunday, who was cool enough to come out and chill for a bit).
3. Philadelphia Weekend (April 16-19). Bubba's father was originally from Allentown. After he passed away, they planned to have a memorial service out there for him, and Bubs invited me and Kent to come along with him. As I had never been to Philly before, I jumped at the chance. And, I have to say, it was pretty awesome. Philly is a cool city. Got to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, and ran up the steps of the Art Museum, just like Rocky did! Too cool! Dinner at Morimoto's was delicious, if not a little overpriced. The next day we spent in the Allentown area with Bubba's family, and that was cool, too. Rural PA is a very different place from Cali. They don't have fences! Which I found to be too weird, but also refreshing. Kent yolied all over the side of Uncle Darryl's car when we were driving back from the bars, too...so that was pretty hilareous. All in all, an awesome trip. I always enjoy seeing new cities.
2. Sharks Game in Chicago (Nov. 15-16). Yes, I went to Chicago for the sole purpose of watching the Sharks take on the Blackhawks. Yes, I can be pretty spontaneous from time to time. I had never been to a roadgame before, and this oppotunity came up and I could not pass it up. I had also never been to Chicago before, and felt it would be a nice chance to see the city. And, man, this trip did not disappoint. Sadly, the Sharks lost their game in OT, but seeing a game in a new environment was pretty cool. And Chicago fans are pretty ok. They didn't give us too much shit. The Madhouse on Madison is huge! And it was rocking that night. The next day I booked the late flight out so I could spend the whole day doing a whirlwind trip of the city. Went to the top of the Sears Tower and had some awesome views of the city. Then got to spend loads of time in the Art Institute, which is an amazing museum. Finished the day with a walk around Millenium Park and down to the shore of Lake Michigan. Also got to enjoy a Chicago hot dog, and the night before a Chicago Deep Dish pizza. I think I got a good taste of Chicago for only being there for about 24 hours. I'll definately need to get back out there.
1. New Years in New Orleans (Jan. 1-4). Without a doubt, one of the best trips I have ever taken. New Orleans is an amazing city. New Years was insane. We (Bubs and I) wandered down a very packed Bourbon St. and got some drinks, and then watched the Fleur de Lei drop in Jackson Square, and then the fireworks over the Mississippi River. The next day we wandered around the French Quarter, and bought some souvs (including some street art). Also, stopped by the Sugar Bowl fanfest to see Blues Traveler. The next day was the Sugar Bowl, which was insane...the Superdome is HUGE! And it was an awesome game with one of the biggest upsets in BCS Bowl history. The next day we went on a fanboat excursion of the swamps, which was very cool. Oh, and the food! The food in New Orleans was incredible. From Mr. B's Bistro, to K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen, and then Emeril's NOLA...we dined better in that weekend than we had in the previous year. Alligator sausage, Turtle soup, Frog legs...and the best Blackened fish I'd ever eaten (K-Paul's is an amazing restaurant). Walking around the French Quarter, there'd be jazz music being played, artists sketching the landscape...it was just a really really cool city. I really would love to go back.
----------------------------------------------
So, anyways, looking back, maybe it wasn't such a boring year. I did end up doing some cool things, and visiting 3 new cities that were at the top of my list. As always, though, I've always got to top myself. Hopefully 2010 brings with it some entertaining moments and amazing trips (potential trips to Vegas, Edmondton, and Charleston are already in the pre-planning stage).
Thanks for reading another year of my Year in Review! Here's to hoping 2010 is an amazing year!
2 comments:
Wow, Philly beat out Disneyland. Awesome.
Yup, yup. New adventures usually win out over things I've done before.
Post a Comment