March 28, 2008

Pat's Pre-Season MLB Predictions

I know, I know, the season started Tuesday morning in Japan. Trust me, I know. But the REAL baseball season starts this Sunday, so I figure I'm still ahead of the curve. I wanted to get this down in writing now while I was thinking about it, and then I'll look back and see how poorly I did after the season is over.

Division and Wild Card Winners:

AL West: Seattle (2nd: Oakland, 3rd: Anaheim, 4th: Texas)
AL Central: Detroit (2nd: Cleveland, 3rd: Chicago, 4th: Minneasota, 5th: Kansas City)
AL East: New York (2nd: Boston, 3rd: Tampa Bay, 4th: Toronto, 5th: Baltimore)
Wild Card: Cleveland

What? I have the defending World Series Champs missing the playoffs? Yup! It's just a hunch, but I think the Yankees could be pretty darn good this year. I also see the Wild Card coming out of the Central. This leaves Boston, and their questionable rotation (besides Beckett...who is currently hurt, but mending well), on the outside looking in. Hopefully I'm right about this one, because Boston fans are annoying.

NL West: Los Angeles (2nd: Arizona, 3rd: Colorado, 4th: San Diego, 5th: San Francisco)
NL Central: Cincinnati (2nd: Chicago, 3rd: Milwaulkee, 4th: Houston, 5th: St. Louis, 6th: Pittsburgh)
NL East: New York (2nd: Atlanta, 3rd: Philadelphia, 4th: Florida, 5th: Washington)
Wild Card: Arizona

The NL West is going to be super competitive. LA, Zona, Colorado, and SD could all potentially win the division...which conversely means they could all potentially finish 4th. I'll go with the youth movement in LA over the pitching tandem of Webb and Haren in Zona, but only by a squeeker. The loser will end up in the Wild Card spot, so that's not too bad. The NL Central will probably be just as competitive, but for opposite reasons. No one really sticks out as a good team. I like Cincy's power pitching down the stretch. New York and Santana will blow away the East, unless they all get old and hurt. Atlanta will be very competitive.

Playoffs

Arizona def. New York
Los Angeles def. Cincinnati
New York def. Cleveland
Detroit def. Seattle

Arizona def. Los Angeles
Detroit def. New York

Detroit def. Arizona...but damn that would be a good series!

Season Awards:

AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez - NYY
NL MVP: David Wright - NYM
AL Cy Young: Justin Verlander - DET
NL Cy Young: Johan Santana - NYM
AL RoY: Daric Barton - OAK
NL RoY: Johnny Cueto - CIN

No comments: