September 18, 2013

Q’s Adventures: I’m Going to Disneyland!!!

Hello again!  Last time I checked in,  I told you my harrowing tale of the time my gut almost exploded, except my awesome girlfriend had made me go to the hospital instead.  So what if I’m stubborn…not dead yet!  The follow up tale is much friendlier!  The weekend after my appendectomy, my family, Jessica, and I went to Disneyland!


Friday morning we all drove down beautiful Highway 5 to Anaheim, checked in to our various hotels, and then went out to get some lunch at Trader Sam’s at the Disneyland Hotel.  Next time you are in Disneyland, venture over to Trader Sam’s.  Its super cool. Its all decorated, and they have a volcano go off every so often, and the lighting is great.  When you are there, get the UH-OA.  It’s a communal drink (Jessica and I split ours) that gets presented to you as a show!  With fire!  And chanting!  And awesome crazy lights!  Its great!


After that, my parents and I checked in for the 10K race we were there for, went back to my parents’ room at the Grand California (hell of a hotel…and super conveniently located) to drop our stuff off, and then hit the park!  Yay!  So we did Disneyland type things, and did California Adventure type things…and it was glorious.  We also got tired and left before 9.  Long day.

Saturday morning my alarm went off at 4am to get ready for the 10K.  Yes, I walked/ran a 10K a mere week after my appendectomy.  Because I’m that awesome.  Boom.  Jessica was a trooper and came with me over to my parents’ hotel, and walked with us to the starting area, before going back to my parents’ hotel to crash before meeting us at the finish.  The 10K was super cool.  It started out on the streets of Anaheim for a couple miles before diving into California Adventure’s backlots, and then into the park.  We ran through a great deal of the park before diving into more backlots and then into Disneyland.  The finish was back at the hotel.  Such a cool run.  Definitely plan to do it again next year. 



So we went back to the hotels, snagged some showers, and then wandered off into California Adventure.  We hit California Screamin pretty early…why? Because its an amazing roller coaster!  I even convinced Jessica to join me on the ride.  She who claimed to not be a fan of roller coasters and had no desire to go upside down.  AND SHE LOVED IT!  As I knew she would!  We hit up almost everything in Cali Adventure…except Tower of Terror (which my stomach wasn’t ready for), and the Radiator Springs Racers (which had an hour and a half line…more on these later).  Lunch was in the park…Jessica and I had these pretty amazing burritos…my parents had sandwiches.  Then we wandered over to Disneyland for the afternoon and got on a few rides…and then went back to the hotel to nap. 

We reconvened for dinner at Carthay Circle Restaurant…which also gave us preferred seating tickets for World of Color that night!  World of Color is really pretty…although its no Fantasmic.  Still, very colorful…especially with the big Ferris wheel in the background.



After World of Color, we caught the second half of the Disneyland fireworks, and then went into the park for some late night rides.  Lines are short, and we get on a bunch before the park closes at 11.  Quick sleep, and up for our magical early morning in Disneyland on Sunday.  We got into the park an hour before everyone else (and just after the end of the half marathon that we weren’t running in), and we got on a bunch of tomorrowland and fantasyland rides.  When the rest of the park opened, my mom and dad ran to go get fast passes in California Adventure for the Radiator Springs Racers, and Jessica and I took in Indiana Jones…met back up with the parental for Pirates, and then walked on to Splash Mountain.  And rode it twice without ever getting off the ride!  Legit! 

Lunch was at the Blue Bayou (the restaurant inside Pirates) and was amazing, as always.  Then we got to ride the new ride at Cars Land…the Radiator Springs Racers.  And, I have to say, I understand why the lines are the way they are…its an amazingly well done ride!  I don’t want to give it away for anyone who hasn’t made it out there yet…but its awesome.  All of Cars Land is well done.  I was thoroughly entertained. 




After that it was back to the parents’ hotel, and then we got all dressed up for dinner…just Jessica and I this night…at the Jazz Kitchen.  Another killer meal…out on a balcony overlooking Downtown Disney.  Excellent!  That evening was spent in Disneyland…the highlight being our reserved seating for Fantasmic that came complete with dessert tray!  That was awesome.  And, seeing as how Fantasmic is my favorite single thing in Disneyland, it was a great way to wind down the trip.  A few rides later, we wandered out and went to bed.

Monday was spent driving home, through Pebble Beach to see grandma and pick up Titan.  It was an awesome trip overall.  I really, really love Disneyland.  And I really, really enjoy going with my mom, who definitely appreciates it on the same level that I do.  Dad seemed to enjoy himself as well…and Jessica got to experience the park on a whole new level…which was awesome to see!  All in all, a great weekend!  I cannot wait to go back.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had a fabulous time with both of you too. Yes, the Disney maniac in me loved every minute, but your Dad had a great time too. Can hardly wait to go back.