May 06, 2012

Q's Adventures: Skyline to the Sea

This weekend a group of friends and I went on a short backpacking trip through the Santa Cruz mountains.  We tackled the Skyline to the Sea trail from Wasserman Gap to Waddell Creek Beach.  In total it was only 23 miles of hiking...mostly downhill...so pretty easy overall.  I probably could have done the whole hike in one day...but two days with an overnight camping stay in the middle is more fun!  So, away we went!


We hiked through the redwoods...


...and we hiked through the bushes...


...and 3.5 hours later we were well into Big Basin Redwoods State Park.  So we decided to stop for lunch by one of their many streams.


A short hike later, and we were at the Big Basin State Park headquarters...day 1 of our hike complete...10 miles and 5 hours later.


Once here, everyone else hunkered down and drank beer and played cards.  I still had a bunch of energy, so I went for another hike.  This one just the easy 1 mile Reedwood Trail loop there next to headquarters.  I wanted to see some big trees.  The Mother of the Forest on this loop is the biggest tree in the park...70 feet around and 329 feet high.


The Father of the Forest is the oldest, I believe...at over 2000 years old.  Its not quite as big, though, at only 66 feet around, and 250 feet high.  And my favorite tree was definitely the Chimney Tree.  It's a living tree that's burned hollow all the way through the top.  Kind of cool...


I rejoined the group after this very relaxing, very peaceful walk.  Played some cards, had a smoothie (yup, really roughing it), and set up camp.  Then it was time for dinner (which was a dehydrated meal...not too bad, actually...although stupid high in sodium and cholesterol...not an everyday thing).  After dinner we hung out around the campfire, and then eventually went to bed.

The next morning I beat everyone awake (as I expected...I rise with the sun when camping.  I was also the only one not drinking).  So, I took a picture of our little trail camp...


Eventually we packed up, ate breakfast (my second and last dehydrated meal), and day two of the hike began!


Today's hike was from Big Basin Headquarters (in the mountains) all the way down to Waddell Creek Beach (the ocean).  13 miles all told.  Mostly downhill...except the very beginning, in which we had to climb out of the valley.  This hike took us past Berry Creek Falls...probably the most popular waterfall in the park.  It's very pretty.  Also made for a good lunch stop...



From there it was all down hill...except for the end, in which the hiking trail inexplicably took us a ways uphill again before dropping us down to the beach.  But, it did give us that "hey, look, that's where we want to end up" moment when we came around a bend and finally caught sight of the coast!


I practically ran the last two miles (one mile uphill as part of "Patrick's Theory on Hiking Hills:  Finish them as fast as possible", and the last mile downhill...since it was steep and the end was neigh!  Soon enough, I made it down.  


Steve and I kind of smoked everyone...arriving at the beach a good 20 minutes before the rest of the group. But, such is life.  Kinda tired of continuously waiting on everyone all weekend, lol. Especially with the end in sight and everyone going to the same spot.  All told, the 13 mile hike took about 5 1/2 hours.  Unfortunately, we ended up having to wait 2 hours for our ride back over the hill to come pick us up, as they did not expect us so soon.  And, despite being super windy, it's still a pretty gorgeous place to shack up for a bit...


...and to reflect on how far we'd come!



All in all, a pretty sweet trip!  I'd never been backpacking before, so a nice, short, easy trip like this was a great way to get my feet wet.  One night, only 4-5 hours of hiking each day, our camp being at a major State Park, and a >30 pound pack.  All in all, pretty cake.  Yes, my feet are a little sore...as are my hips...but that's to be expected.  Overall, I fared quite well.

Enjoyed this latest adventure.  Hopefully the next one will be soon!

Cheers!

2 comments:

Jason said...

Sweet shirt, where'd you get it? :p

Julie said...

Looks like a great time! Makes me want to go camping.