August 17, 2006

Destination: Los Angeles

So, first, this roadtrip was not nearly as random or spontaneous as my Disneyland day trip. This time, I had like two days notice before leaving, and wasn't driving, and was tagging along on a preplanned (more or less) trip.

Tuesday I came home and spent some time with the Piccardos. That was awesome, especially since I was home alone since my family was all out of town (go figure). But it was nice to be out of Davis. Then, the reason I was home...heading down to LA.

So, the past two days I spent on the way to, in, and coming back from LA. Nichole was going down to LA to meet with a potential roommate for next month, and she invited Nate and I to go down and back with her. Nish also tagged along for the ride down, but he stayed there. So, Wednesday midday, I pilled into a full Mountaineer headed South.

The ride down seemed to go quick. We listened to music, caught up with one another, and played some Mindtrap. Before we knew it, we were in Westwood. I had never been to ucla, and Nish had just graduated from there, so the first thing we did was drive around and walk around checking it out. Its a pretty cool place, although I think its a bit bigger than I could have handled. I like the small feel of the UCD campus.

After that Nate, Nish, Nate's friend Mike and myself got left in Westwood Villiage for an hour and a half while Nichole went to meet with her potential roomie. We went to some sweets shop, cookies and ice cream (if youve been there, you know the one...i just cant recall the name). We then walked around and hung out. Around 715 we got a call from nichole that she was on her way back. We got picked up, let Nish drop his stuff off at the place he was staying, and drove on out to the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica for dinner.

We met Gordon there (which was awesome, I haven't seen him in ages!). And we finall sat down to dinner at 9 at an italian pizzaria. It was pretty good, and not too expensive, so I was pleased. After that, Nate headed off to spend the night at Mike's place, and Gordon went home, and Nish met up with his friends, and Nichole and I went to crash at her friend Tana's place over at Loyola Marymount.

It was very cool of Tana to let us (and especially me, a guy she's never met...although I am mostly harmless, haha) crash there on such short notice. When we got there we got a tour of the house, and then Tana went to bed, Nichole went out with a friend, and I commendeered the TV and put ESPN on. I watched teh brawl between TEX and ANA (haha, so awesome), and read my book and listened to my ipod, and chatted with Tana's friend also crashing there on his way to ASU. I finally fell asleep around 130. It was a slow end to a good day, but I was pretty beat, so it was ok.

The next morning, everyone left around 920 and Nichole and I were left there to close up shop (haha, random to me too...). We took off around 10, got some waffles at a place near there, hung out at the shopping complex (Promenade at Howard Hughes Place or whatever...) and took off from there for home around 12. I rolled into Morgan Hill around 530, said my goodbyes to Nichole and Nate (who I may not see again for a while.../sadface), and here I am.

Spent tonight hanging out with my mom, catching up briefly with my sister and now I'm watching Clerks...a great movie.

So, this was the first time, in the nearly 23 years I've lived in California, that I spent any real time in the city of Los Angeles. It seems like a pretty neat place...to visit. Saw westwood, santa monica, and random west LA places in between. I hope to go back and see some other parts of the city (hollywood, for one...hell, i dont even know whats there, but i hear theres a lot to do). Usually when I go to Southern California, I'm headed to Anaheim, San Diego, or Lancaster (or the inland empire in rare circumstances). I could never live in LA, but I wouldn't mind going back to visit at all. Actually, I may be there again in mid September for a Dodgers game and other randomness. Should be fun.

Anyways, its been a very fun and random week...which I love. I like going here and there as I please...doing random things on a whim. Very cool. I gotta go back to Davis tomorrow, but it shouldn't be too bad, and now I can look for the next thing to take me away from Davis for a few days!

No comments: