June 13, 2006

Four years and...what?

By 3:30 tomorrow, I will have made it through four full years of college. 4 years! Crazy. I can't even imagine how I would feel if I was actually graduating now.

I wish I could sit here and talk about all the things I've accomplished in 4 years, how great its been, all the awesome stories I have and all that garbage...but I would be lying. For the most part, college has been rather uneventful.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've definately had fun in college. I've made some good friends, done some fun things. IMs have been great fun. 2802 Parties, while declining this year somewhat, have been a blast. But really, when I look back at my four years here so far, nothing stands out. My most memorable memory of my time here so far was when I got kicked out and had to fight to get back in. Not exactly the pinnacle of greatness there.

I really don't have any good college stories. In 10 years, when Kent and I are sitting around bullshitting, I can't really see anything in my past four years where we can go "remember the time..." There's nothing to remember. Hey, remember the time I got kicked out of college? Hey, remember the time we threw a party...um, yeah...ok, yeah, thats all. No good stories. Nothing epic has happened. No big stories or crazy weekends. College, for the most part, has been pretty tame.

And tame isn't bad, its just not memorable. And I think thats what is bugging me. How am I going to remember my college years? They are quickly coming to an end, and I don't feel like I've accomplished anything. I'll have a degree, but no real career in mind. I'll have some new friends, but no real stories or anything. I guess its just finally hitting me that I've been here for four years already and my time is coming to an end soon. College is supposed to be the best time of your life, and for me, it really hasn't been. Its been fun, but the best? Probably not.


But, I do have one more year living in Davis, and one more quarter as an actual student. Its time to make some memories. Its time to get some stories!


Well, I should go get some sleep so I can wake up and review a little bit before my last final of the quarter. I think I've done well so far this finals season, so I'm looking to end with a bang before I jump in the car and make for home immediately afterwards. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that your experience is pretty normal. College is portrayed very differently in the movies and on TV. But for most people, it is a time to make some friends and have some good times while managing to get a degree. When I look back, I don't think of really memorable times, but more just a general feeling that times were fun. As far as not knowing what you are going to do, join the club. It seems that many kids that graduate just don't know what they want to do. They figure it out as time goes by. Or they can be like your mother, and think they know what they want, then try something else, then something else, then something else, and then accidently land in teaching and it looks like I'm here to stay. All of the jobs were interesting and I don't regret any of them. See you this afternoon.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

usually the times that people say "remember when . . ." it is followed by somthing stupid that they did or some trouble that they got into so you might actually be better off without. That being said if you need help doing stupid things or getting into trouble I would be glad to help out. And I'll have plenty of opportunity since I'll be living with you next year.

-Dan

Anonymous said...

Hey Pat :) Don't give up! You can always go to grad school... i mean the way I look at it I have three more years now :)
Sarah