December 31, 2005
2005: A Year in Review
As the old year comes to a close, I like to take a look back at the events of the past year in my annual Year in Review. The Year in Review started way back on my old AIM profile (MyBuddyInfo) at the end of 2003. Being as that site went down for "maintenance" and never returned, this tradition of mine has been moved here to my blog.
When I first sat down a few weeks ago to outline the events that happened this part year I realized that I could not remember much of what happened in 2005. I could not remember a single thing that happened to me or in the world. However, I was able to come up with a rather lengthy list of things that happened in the world of sports. But such is my life... After help from numerous sources (news sites for world events and past blogs and such for personal events) I finally compiled a number of things that happened this year.
2005 was a tough year for me. I must say that not much went right for me, the world, or most sports for that matter. It was just one of those years when things seemed to spiral downward from the get go (with the Patriots winning the Super Bowl being the first in a line of tragedies). However, I still have my houses, my health, my family and an awesome group of friends...so I can't complain too much.
First I would like to go through the 2005 the rest of the world saw. The following are the events that I deemed important in the world at large over the last year...
~Headlining this year were the record number of tropical storms and hurricanes (and major hurricanes) that formed in this years hurricane season. 27 tropical storms (the latest one forming yesterday, tied for the latest ever), 14 of those hurricanes, and 4 major hurricanes making landfall in the U.S. are all records. In the U.S., the stories centered around Rita, Wilma, and first and most importantly, Katrina. Katrina will likely be the costliest hurricane (or natural disaster for that matter) to ever hit the United States. It left New Orleans under 20 feet of water when the levees broke, and most of the city was forced to evacuate. New Orleans is still drying out, and people are finally getting to return to the city in some places, but this will definately be a natural disaster we will be dealing with for many years to come.
~Because of the hurricanes in the atlantic disrupting oil supplies, as well as soaring oil prices worldwide, gas prices in the U.S. soared to over $3 a gallon! This was definately a shock to the economy and the driving populous. It led to the emergence of the hybrid car into a sought after option.
~Over in Pakistan, a major earthquake hit on Oct. 8, killing over 87,000.
~Elsewhere overseas, the War in Iraq continues with some positive developments. Three times elections were held in the country with little violence or disruption. In this latest election, both Sunnis and Shiites came out to vote...leading to the hope that maybe this democracy is getting closer to being able to run on its own. (on a side note, keep the troops over there fighting for us in your thoughts and prayers)
~The Terri Schiavo case dominated the news in march. Terri had been being kept alive by feeding tube and machines for 15 years when her husband made the decision to "pull the plug." Her family fought back saying she had a right to be kept alive sparking national debate. Finally, on march 18th, the feeding tube was removed, and Terri passed away on march 31st.
~Other notable passings this year: Chief Justice William Rehnquist (Sept), Johnny Carson (Jan), Peter Jennings (Aug), Rosa Parks (Oct), Richard Pryor (Dec), Sen. Eugene J. McCarthy (Dec), and Pope John Paul II (Apr).
~After the Pope's death, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger becomes Pope Benedict the 16th on April 19 after the shortest conclave in history.
~In addition to the passing of Chief Justice Rehnquist, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor announced her retirement from the Court, leaving Bush 2 vacancies on the court to fill. John Roberts was confirmed to replace Chief Justice Rehnquist as the Chief Justice of the United States on Sept. 29th. O'Connor's seat is still unfilled, with Samuel Alito being nominated after Harriet Miers withdrew her nomination.
~July 7th in London was a day of terror as terrorists bombed three transportation tubes and a bus during their morning rush hour. 52 people died and many more were injured in the blasts. Scotland Yard identified many of the bombers and they have since been caught.
~Also of note this year: Michael Jackson was acquitted on all charges in his child molestation case; Deep Throat's identity was finally reveiled to be 91 year old Mark felt; and Israel lowers road barrier sealing the Gaza Strip to Israeli civilians in August, hopefully a step towards peace.
Wow, busy year around the world. Many not so good events happened, but I think there were some good things that happened which will set up a very good 2006. Anyways, not only was the world active this year, the world of sports also had a busy, if not dark, year. First, my players, teams, etc. of the year.
Athlete of the Year: Lance Armstrong (won his 7th tour de france and retired on top. Really can't beat that).
Team of the Year: USC Trojans football (34 games in a row and a chance for an unprecedented 3-peat...no one can top that).
Most Overrated Player of the Year: Donovan McNabb (He's not that good!!! So stop talking like he is!!!).
Turkey of the Year: Rafael Palmeiro (wags his finger that he never does steroids, then tests positive, then blames teammates...what a loser).
And here's the most important events from the sporting world in 2005...
~Patriots won their 3rd Super Bowl in four years...leading to their fans and players claiming they were a dynasty. Of course, this is not true, as they cannot hold a candle to the 70s Steelers or the 80s Niners (or the 90s Cowboys for that matter).
~On an even more somber note, the wrestling world lost one of the greats when Eddie Guerrero died suddenly in his hotel room from massive heart failure. Eddie overcame many demons and really turned his life around from the drug addicted man he once was. Unfortunately, he could not escape the effects of his past, and his weakened heart gave away. This is a huge loss for wrestling world, but his life can still be an example of someone turning their life around and having a positive effect on the world.
~On an even blacker note, steroid talk plagued baseball all season. Congress held hearings in March which tarnished many of the greats (see: Turkey of the Year). Jose Canseco published a book in which he named many people he claimed to have taken steroids (Juiced). Finally, baseball enacted a new steroids policy with testing...50 game suspension first offense, 100 game second, third offense = lifetime ban. Hopefully this will curb the cheating in the game, even if it comes at the expense of many of our stars.
~In addition to Palmeiro, there are some runners up to my Turkey of the Year. First, Terrell Owens alienated his team and teammates with his constant remarks against them. He was eventually deactivated for the season. Second, Kenny Rogers attacked a cameraman during the pregame warmups, injuring him and leading to a suspension (which was inexplicably reduced). Both of these men are idiots and were worthy of being turkey of the year, if not for Palmeiro.
~Continuing down this train of thought, a big story from the beginning of the NFL season was the Viking's "love boat." Many teammates were implicated in having a sex cruise on a lake in Minneasota. Bigger than this story, though, was how they were able to shake this off and turn their season around...nearly making the playoffs. The Vikings may have been idiots, but they did show great poise when dealing with the situation and trying to move on.
~My second biggest story of the year is a curse that was broken. A curse bigger and longer that the stupid BoSox curse that people are still talking about. The Chicago White Sox won the world series for the first time since 1917. No one believed in them, no one talked about how good they were, and yet they still played tough and won the Series. Congratulations to the White Sox for a truely magical season.
~AND, my BIGGEST story of the year: THE NHL IS BACK!!! After an entire season canceled due to a labor lockout, the NHL finally came to an agreement and are back on the ice this season. I get to cheer for my Sharkies again, and I could not be happier!
Finally, my own life. With all of this happening all over the world, I managed to live my own life and get through the year as well. It was a rough year, but still had some good points. Here are the notable events of my 2005...
~I guess the biggest story was me getting kicked out of college after the winter quarter last school year for grades. I appealed and got back in, but it was definately a check point in my life. It led to me changing my major (officially) to Political Science, which I am really enjoying. My schooling is back on track, and I may actually graduate next year!
~There were a few small trips this year. I went to Disneyland twice. Once in June for my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. Totally awesome. And once in September with my good friend Jack. Also a very good time. We stayed at Nichole's place, and even though we only saw her for like an hour or two the first night we got in, it was still good to see her then, and extremely awesome of her to let us crash there. I also went to Yosemite twice. First was in May for the wedding of Gina and Seth. That was awesome, not only because of the wedding but also because Yosemite is beautiful in the spring. The waterfalls were at an all time high, and it was just incredible to be in the valley then. The second time was in August with the family on a camping trip. This time was also fun, as Yosemite is just an awesome place.
~I wrote an article for the Morgan Hill Times this year. I wrote a second one that has yet to be published, but at least this is a start in the newspaper business.
~I worked as the Office Manager at my dad's office this summer, which was awesome. I love working with those guys, and I think they like working with me too. Along these lines was the Ab Feed camping trip to Ocean Cove. Kent, Jack, and Tom went with me, and it was awesome. I love that trip. Just a good summer overall.
~However, the best memory I have of 2005 was when my parents, Kent and I went to the Jimmy Buffett concert in April. It was an absolutely amazing concert and I had a great time.
Yeah, my year was pretty uneventful (in terms of number of events), and overall wasn't that great (despite some awesome times here and there). However, I think I am set up very well for a great 2006!
Happy New Year everyone! I wish the best to all of you in 2006!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey kiddo. Although you said it was a rough year for you personally. When you look at your run-down of events you actually did quite a lot and had many more positives than negatives in the year. I think you can look forward to a great 2006. Love, Mom
Post a Comment