July 24, 2013

Q's Adventures: From the True North to the Dirty South

So, holy crap.  Sorry.  It's been ages since I posted here!  I dropped my epic 700th blog post and took a little hiatus.  Can't blame me, though.  I have a girlfriend I like spending a lotta time with.  I have a job who's downtime has all but disappeared.  And I'm moving this week!  Yeah, I'm keeping busy.

Oh, and I had a little business trip last week.  Which is the reason we are here today!

My business trip started off with a Sunday morning flight from San Francisco to Toronto.  Flew through customs and I was in Canada (with another stamp on my passport...bringing me to a not so impressive two.  Sigh...still working on that).

Anyways, Monday was taken up by work and post-work dinner.  Tuesday was taken up by work, and then not feeling well so I just holed up and watched the All Star Game.  However, Wednesday I got to go exploring.  I took some time to check e-mails and do some project work from the hotel upon waking up.  And then I took off for Downtown Toronto.

First I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame...something I'd always wanted to do!  I'll share some pictures from that adventure!
\

That's the Grand Hall of the Hockey Hall of Fame!  When you see the pictures off all the trophies later, they're all housed here!


They have the sweaters of every captain in the NHL on display...so of course I had to track down my boy Jumbo Joe!


A display to Vladislav Tretiak...one of the greatest goaltenders to ever play the game!  Sorry its blurry...I'm not always the best photographer...especially when I'm much more interested in walking around than documenting everything!


The evil puck that came off of Sydney Crysby's stick in overtime of the 2010 winter Olympics in Vancouver to give Canada the Gold Medal over the Joe Pavelski led USA.  Sigh...


The players and personnel in the Hall of Fame are all lined up here on a wall...little gold tiles.  Had to grab a picture of Arturs Irbe.  LIKE WALL!


And, of course, the great Herb Brooks!


Jersey from the miracle on ice!


And one from 1960's gold medal team!  The USA won gold in 1960 and 1980...the USSR (errr...CCCP) won every single one in between.  Sorry Canada.


Up in the Grand Hall...here's the Rocket Richard Trophy...


...once won by San Jose's own Jonathan Cheechoo!


Here's the President's Trophy...given to the NHL's best team throughout the regular season.  San Jose won this once!


The Hart Trophy...given to the MVP of the NHL.  Joe Thornton won this one once...although the picture I took of his nameplate ended up being too blurry to read.


Luckily, Joe Thornton also won the Art Ross Trophy that year for having the most points in the NHL!


...and the picture of his name on there turned out ok.  Even if it is obscured a bit by my reflection.


And here's the one everyone wants to see...the greatest trophy in all of sports...the Stanley Cup!


I got my picture taken with Lord Stanley's Immaculate Chalice!  Please note how I'm not touching it.  You're welcome, Sharks Fans!


This is probably the crown jewel of the entire museum...the ORIGINAL Stanley Cup.  Pretty effing cool.  That thing's been around forever.


Can you believe this is all goalies used to wear for pads on their shoulders and arms?  Ridiculous...


Finally, they have a little set up for each NHL franchise...showing the sweaters for their NHL and AHL clubs, and giving some history.  Pretty cool.  Go Sharks!

After the Hockey Hall of Fame, I wandered down Front Street with the goal of going to the top of the CN Tower!


Yeah...up there!  Why?  Well, this is why...





Its a pretty sweet view!  Especially down through the glass floor towards the home of the Toronto Blue Jays!

After those shenanigans, I went back to the hotel in Mississauga to change.  It was stupid hot and humid there, and I was sticking to my clothing.  Not comfortable.  Also, my phone was dying, and I needed it for directions!

Then it was off to a place I've wanted to go for quite a while...




Niagara Falls!!!  Yes!  And let me tell you, it is even more impressive than I had imagined.  You know what, I'll just throw up more pictures!













So, yeah.  Not too shabby.  You know, for a Wednesday.  On a business trip.

SERIOUS BUSINESS WAS BEING DONE!  WHATEVER, DON'T JUDGE ME!

The next day I was headed back to the States!  Toronto, through DC, and to Charleston, SC...where I'd hop in a car and head to Columbia for a work function on Friday!

The cool thing about Toronto is you go through US Customs in Toronto...takes out the hassle of going through it on the back end.  I was on some shitty little tiny planes (you know, glamorous international business travel!).  Got to South Carolina...and HOLY SHIT!  It was even more humid and disgusting than Toronto.

So I drove to Columbia, and did some work in the hotel...then it was dinner, and bed.  Friday I worked from the hotel in the morning...then it was off to lunch, followed by myself, Steve, and Brandon trying to figure out what there was to do in Columbia.  The answer:  NOTHING!  Columbia, SC might be the most boring city on the planet.  Sheesh.

Wait, no, there is the State House!


Sigh.  Whatever.  That night was a work function...basically, drinking...dinner with drinking...and then a casino night...with drinking.  Fun!

Saturday I was flying home...but not before spending the day in Charleston!

Charleston is a pretty cool town.  The Public Market was pretty cool.  I picked up some grits and a cookbook (so I'd know what to do with them).  Then I had lunch...gumbo and she crab soup (so good!).  Then I wandered out to the water and took some pictures!






Pretty cool.  Lunch was at Cru Cafe...which I highly recommend.  Then I took off for home.  Coming home was frustrating.  My flight to Atlanta was an hour and a half late due to thunderstorms in Atlanta.  Then my flight to San Jose was late...which was actually nice, because I was rushing as it was!  However, with all the cancellations and diversions away from Atlanta when the airport shut down...there was next to no one on my 5 hour flight to San Jose.

Which meant I got an entire row to myself!  Woot!


The trip was fun...in parts.  But hot...and humid.  Definitely reminded me why I live where I do.  And I was definitely happy to be home!

So...sorry for the length between posts...but you got a nice long one, with lots of pictures!  So enjoy!  I'll be back when I'm back!

Cheers!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Awesome pictures! Makes me want to visit Niagara Falls.