June 08, 2011

(W)MMR: The Eastern Time Zone

My body is still adjusting itself off of Eastern Time.  This means I get tired at odd hours, and wake up at odd hours.  But its getting better, and I’m sure I’ll be back on Pacific time soon enough.

That is not the point of today’s post, though.

The point of today’s post is to rant.  And I feel like ranting about how awful the Eastern Time Zone is, and how infinitely superior the Pacific Time Zone is.  So, lets begin.

The Eastern Time Zone is 3 hours ahead of the Pacific Time Zone, which is a real drag.  Mostly because of sports.  Most sports teams like to start playing at 7pm local time; which gives people a chance to get off work and get dinner before heading out to a game on the weeknights.   This means all games that start in the Pacific Time Zone will get going around 10pm…way too late if I want to watch the whole thing and still be up for work in the morning.  However, it works out perfectly when on the Pacific Coast…as games will start at 4 (and be waiting to welcome you home from work) and at 7…and be done by 10 so you can get to sleep!  This is pretty much sports watching perfection.

Nowhere is this more awesome than Sunday football.  On the East Coast, you have to wait until 1pm to start watching your Sunday NFL slate of games.  Out West, it starts at 10am!  Wake up, watch some football!  The second games start at 1, the night game starts at 5…you can watch football for the entire day, and not be up all night!

The Eastern Time Zone also sucks for having friends still in the Pacific.  When I’m waking up, and pretty much for my entire morning, no one on the Pacific coast is awake.  Then I go to lunch, so some work, and go home.  And when I get home, people are still working out West.  And by the time they get off, its almost time for bed for me.  This is sad.  And does not lead to keeping up contact with my friends on the West Coast when I head back East.

Finally, their weather sucks.  This has nothing to do with time zones, I just wanted to take another shot at the East Coast.  It’s either hot and sticky, or cold and snowing.  I’m not sure there’s any other seasons.  How do people live like this?

So, needless to say, I’m glad to be back home in the Pacific Time Zone!  Now, please, internal clock, catch up with the times!

No comments: