January 14, 2008

MMR: The Problem of Motivation

I've decided, right here and now, after numerous seconds of thinking, that life boils down to motivation. All of it. There is nothing in life that gets accomplished without it. Motivation drives our everyday lives. It drives businesses. It drives the government (or the lack of motivation bogs down the government...however you want to look at it). It drives everything.

Don't believe me? I'll convince you...

In the workplace: Employees do a good job when they are properly motivated to do so. Maybe they have a vested (monitary) interest in seeing their company succeed. Maybe they want to get the big raise or make partner or something, so they are motivated to work hard. I find that when I come to work, sometimes I get motivated to just get things done and finish my work. It is then, and only then, that things seem to get done. Today I was completely unmotivated from 9am till like 11, and nothing was accomplished (although I did read some interesting articles on the presidential races). Then, I got bit by the motivation bug (meaning I realized it was 11 and I hadn't done shit) so I worked till 12:30, went to lunch, and then worked till 230...and finished absolutely everything on my to-do list for the day, as well as a few other things. I was a maniac. I got a ton accomplished. What a normal man would take 8 hours to do, I took 4. I'm that good. But I was motivated to finish. Why? Because I'm anal and wanted to cross things off my to do list (yes, I have a physical list). I think it is the manager's job to properly motivate their employees. The most efficient offices have the most motivated staff. Motivation drives productivity, and thus drives business.

In your personal life: Change is hard. I, personally, hate change. I like my comfortable routines. It makes me happy and gives me structure in my life. It's amazing. I believe most people are like this, and only make changes when motivated to. Maybe you hate your job, but they're paying you, so you stick around. But then your boss chews you out some day for something that isn't even your fault, and all of a sudden you are motivated to find a new job...something you like. Being fired has this same effect (motivation to find a new job) but its not as happy as choosing to change jobs on your own. Staying in shape is also a matter of motivation. I am in no way motivated to get myself into shape. I like eating and not exercising. They are both things I have a good time with. Thus, I am fat and out of shape. But maybe one day I'll meet some smokin hot chick who also has a personality and a sense of humor (I know, oh so likely...but bear with me)...maybe I'll then find the motivation to get into shape to impress this perfect individual with my striking good looks as well as my quick wit and clever humor. Almost dying from being fat has this effect as well; but once again isn't as happy.

As you can clearly see, motivation drives every...you know what, I'm not at all motivated to finish this MMR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But maybe one day I'll meet some smokin hot chick who also has a personality and a sense of humor (I know, oh so likely...but bear with me)- who is blind, deaf, mute, a nymphomaniac, bi-curious, rich, and owns a liquor store, and is morally casual

James Brill